Alonso crash saga 'weird' - Villeneuve

'It's a story that leaves me a bit confused,' says former F1 driver Jacques Villeneuve who's joined a number of pundits and fans baffled by Fernando Alonso's crash.

SA-bound R8 to be unleashed at Geneva

Audi's second-generation R8 will make its debut at the 2015 Geneva auto show. The new V10-powered R8 will arrive in South Africa in 2016! GALLERY

Hulkenberg's car woes continue

2013-03-18 09:44

NO LUCK IN OZ: Nico Hulkenberg seems to have no luck at Australian Grands prix. He was unable to make it onto the grid for the start of the race this year. IMAGE: AFP

Nico Hulkenberg's run of bad luck at the Australian Grand Prix continued on Sunday March 17, 2013, when he was unable to make it onto the grid for the start of the race after his Sauber developed a fuel system problem.

The German, who had qualified 11th, was making his final preparations for his debut for his new team in his 40th race when the fault was identified and it was deemed too dangerous for him to start.

BAD LUCK IN OZ

The 25-year-old's problems at Albert Park began on his first race lap on the Melbourne street circuit in 2010 when Japan's Kamui Kobayashi crashed into a barrier and careered into Hulkenberg's Williams, ending his race.

Two years later, Hulkenberg was back with Force India but, having qualified an impressive ninth, damaged his car in a first corner incident and failed to make it to the end of the opening lap.

Hulkenberg said: "I'm bitterly disappointed about what happened today. But things like this happen in racing. Obviously, Melbourne is not a good place for me. It was my third grand prix here and the third time that I leave this place empty handed.
 
"The only good thing is that the next race takes place next weekend."

It was a disappointing weekend for the entire Sauber team, celebrating their 20th anniversary this year, who had been encouraged by their pace in the first two free practice sessions on March 14 but ended up without any points.

Mexican Esteban Gutierrez failed to get through the chaotic first round of qualifying on Saturday and started the race in 18th position before battling his way up to 13th - first among the five rookies in the field.

Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn sounded as anxious to get away from Melbourne and on to the second race in Sepang as Hulkenberg.

She said: "This was not the way we expected the new F1 season to start. The problem with the fuel system was unlucky, particularly at this point in the race weekend.

"We are very sorry for Nico. Esteban drove a solid first race. However, starting from P18 was too much of a handicap for him.

"I'm confident we will solve the problems we had and that we will be in better shape in Malaysia."

Stay with Wheels24 for the 2013 Formula 1 season – fresh reports every day.

NEXT ON WHEELS24X

Read Wheels24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside Wheels24

Jerez: First glimpse of '15 F1 potential

The F1 world got its first glimpse of the 2015 field as many teams tested new cars, and in some cases new drivers, ahead of the first race of the season in March.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.