New Sasol GTC cars set for thrills

The iconic Grand Prix Circuit will present a new challenge to the GTC drivers as they tackle the country’s fastest racetrack on June 16.

Suzuki’s new Swift hatch and sedan in SA

Suzuki kicks off its new model assault with an all new Swift hatchback and standalone sedan called the Dzire.

Overland 4x4 challenge now open

2005-02-18 09:32

Stuck in sand during the recce...

Overlanding requires skills such as driving, teamwork, theoretical knowledge and practical application.

The Overland Challenge tests these skills by taking participants to some of the most beautiful and challenging Southern African destinations.

Industry leaders hone the competitor?s skills en route and the event is also used as a vehicle for various types of overland-orientated research and community upliftment.

The Overland Challenge is suitable for beginners through to the most experienced Overlanders and competitors will not be expected to do physical orientated activities and exercises.

Great value

For the mere price of an entrance fee to a competition each team receives much more than they paid for. This is excellent value for money.

The Overland challenge is a competition consisting of four rounds with the best scoring teams of each round going through to the next round.

A team consists of a driver, co-driver and your own or a rented 4X4 vehicle with low range.

Each team uses their vehicle to compete and there's little likelyhood of damage during the competition.

Careful planning ensures not only the smooth functioning of the event but also the safety of all involved.

The Overland Challenge is not a staged lifestyle event, but a competition to identify the best Overlanders in Southern Africa based on the points that they have earned.

The qualification rounds are held over a full day within an hour?s drive from Gauteng and Cape Town.

Reduced fee

The entrance fee has been reduced from R1 000 to R798 per team for those who enter before May 15.

Only a maximum of 250 teams may enter in total, and the qualification rounds start on March 5 and run through to the end of May .

The quarterfinals is an adventure into the Northern or Western Provincea and the semi-final rounds will be a five-day expedition to the Makgadikgadi Pans in Botswana.

The final is a fully-paid epic, a trip across Southern Africa, starting and finishing at the famous World Heritage site in Gauteng, The Cradle of Humankind.

The finalists depart from there to Beira on the east coast of Africa from where the adventurers will overland to Swakopmund on the Atlantic coast.


This once-in-a-lifetime adventure will take the finalists through South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, and Namibia as they compete for the coveted "Overlanders of the Year" trophy.

One cent is donated for every km travelled to the WWF endorsed Southern African Conservation Education Trust.

Extensive overland focused research will be conducted during the quarter final and final rounds.

These rounds will also be used to donate learning aids to schools adjacent to our routes.

All activities and results are published on the Overland Challenge website on a daily basis in order for friends and family to share the participant's experience and follow their progress.

Judges score 70% of a team's final score with the remaining 30% scored by fellow competitors.

No special equipment is required for the qualification round. However, basic overland equipment is required during further rounds.

All costs included

The entrance fee includes all costs except those associated with your vehicle such as fuel and insurance.

Each round incorporates weekends into its schedule to minimise excessive leave requirements and furthermore, families are welcome to join the adventure.

All results are audited in order to ensure fair evaluation and that only the highest scoring teams reach the next round.

For further information visit the Overland website


There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.