HIJACKING HOTSPOTS: Readers share some hijack hotspots in SA. You can view the areas in our interactive map included in this article. Image: Wheels24 ~ Wheels24
Cape Town - Earlier in November, the National Hijack Prevention Academy (NHPA) released a list of hijacking-hotspots in some major SA cities.
The organisation's latest list shows hotspots in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town and Durban. We've included the full list of locations at the end of this article.
How prevalent is vehicle crime in SA? Carjacking has increased by 14.3% in all provinces, according to the 2015/16 annual crime survey released by the South African Police (SAPS). Carjacking was highest in Gauteng.
READ: Hijacking hotspots in SA: Joburg, Pretoria, Cape Town & Durban
Justice Project South Africa chairman Howard Dembovsky says: "Year in and year out we see similar so-called 'hotspots' being published for all sorts of violent crimes and year in and year out, they seem to be in pretty much the same places, with the addition of one or a few new so-called 'hotspots'.
"We also see road traffic signs warning people at some hijacking and smash and grab “zones” (see Rivonia Road off-ramp from the N1 South). Surely this must raise the serious question of “if such hotspots exist, which I don’t deny they do, then what are our law enforcement authorities doing about it?”
"The answer appears to be that they are doing little more than telling us about increases in the prevalence of violent crime, instead of getting actively involved in crime prevention exercises; and that, I’m afraid, is simply not good enough! That said, motorists must be aware that driving requires all of your attention – all of the time. Distracted driving can have devastating consequences; whether you’re on the move or stationary at the traffic lights. WhatsApp, Twitter, etc. can wait until you’re safely inside at your destination."
'Always be alert'
Wheels24's Janine Van der Post has almost been the victim of two hijacking incidents, one in Johannesburg and one in Cape Town.
Van der Post said: "I was driving in convoy with some colleagues to a work function several years ago. I had stopped at a traffic light in Joburg CBD - behind another car - and these two guys approached the car and managed to somehow get the window down of the bakkie I was driving. It was storming so no one could hear me hoot or notice I was being held at gunpoint. Fortunately, I did something incredibly reckless - I fought back. In the end, all that was lost was a necklace."
"One evening at the corner of Modderdam Road and Stellenbosch Arterial near Belhar, close to Cape Town International Airport, three guys jumped out of the ditches and tried to get into the vehicle I was driving. Again I was lucky and this time could drive away because there were no on-coming cars.
"Always be alert of your surroundings. Turn down your music, lock the doors and keep the windows closed in dodgy or dangerous areas. If you know what's going on around you, you can react fast enough and not become a statistic."
Wheels24 readers shared crime hotspots they believe should be added to the map. While not verified by the NHPA, it's interesting to see the areas readers believe are prone to crime. We've included a list of the location as well as the original map below.
Hijacking hotspots: Click on view 'larger map' (far right icon) for more information
Are there hijacking hotspots in your city? Email us
Full list below:
Antoinette Doherty: Hotspots in Vereeniging
Union Street, Vereening
c/o of Johannesburg and Houtkap Road at the Mitco Bridge
Jan van Riebeeck Street
c/o Voortrekker Street and Market Avenue
c/o Voortrekker Street and Beaconsfiled Avenue
c/o Union Street and Victoria Avenue traffic lights
Most of Vereenging CBD is hotspot.
J Roetz: Old Main Road in Pinetown is a hotspot for hijacking, me having being the victim on two occasions in the last 3 months.
Tebogo Medupe: In Capetown at Mewway Road near TR squatter camp towards N2 highway.
Charles Thopola: Erasmus Hebron Road to Morula Sun from Rosslyn, Pretoria
Garankuwa all zones.
Nicky Klopper: N2 off ramp to M41 going to Gateway Theatre of Shopping at the intersection.
Rpnkosi: Delft, Symphony Way Robots outside Cape Town.
Thobela Qhawula: Langa, Philippi at Browns farm area.
Diane Geldenhys: Off ramp N7 / Plattekloof Road - both directions
Ahammed Zahidul: Bree Street c/o Sauer Street (front of Bree taxi rank). Newtown, Jhb CBD.
Elma Kloppers: The 14th Avenue off ramp in Roodepoort a super hot spot.
Melanie Kalis: Borcherds Quarry / N2 intersection, to CPT Airport. This spot has daily smash-n-grabs, inclusive of robbery, gun-butting in faces of victims, hijack at gun-point attempts.
Manikivana Phulani: Corner of Lansdowne road and Emms Drive, Nyanga East.
Original map by Arrive Alive:
Hijacking Hotspots - Cape Town: Voortrekker Road, Bellville, Parow
• Voortrekker Road between Bellville and Parow.Military Road, Prince George Drive
• Corner of Military Road and Prince George Drive.St Stephens Road
• Be alert when driving along St Stephens Road.Alice Street, Voortrekker Road
• Be alert when driving along Alice Street, especially near Voortrekker Road. Station Road
• Be alert when travelling along Station Road.Klipfontein Road
• Be alert when travelling along Klipfontein Road.
Prestwich Road, Ebenhezer
• The corner of Prestwich Road and Ebenhezer.Vanguard Drive
• Be alert when travelling along Vangaurd Drive.
• Beware when travelling on the R300 under the bridges towards the N1 highway.
Do you have any hijacking hotspots in your city? Email us
Hijacking hotspots - Pretoria:
Beyers Naude Drive, Paul Kruger Street
• Beyers Naude Drive and Paul Kruger Street.
• The R55 in Erasmia.
Burnett Street, Delfi Avenue, Garsfontein Road
• Be alert at the following streets, Burnett Street, Delfi Avenue and Garsfontein Road.
• Be aware at traffic lights on Stormvoel.
• Be aware at traffic lights on Watermeyer Street.
Nelson Mandela Drive
• Be alert at traffic lights on Nelson Mandela Drive.
Lynwood Road, Simon Vermooten
• The crossing at Lynwood Road and Simon Vermooten.
Lynwood Road, Hans Strijdom
• The crossing at Lynwood Road and Hans Strijdom.
• Be alert at traffic lights on Walker Street.
• Be alert at traffic lights on Duncan Street.
University Road , Lynwood Road
• The corner of University Road and Lynwood Road.
Rigel Avenue, N1
• The Rigel Avenue off ramp from off the N1.
Simon Vermooten Road, Pretoria Street
• The Simon Vermooten Road crossing with Pretoria Street.
Simon Vermooten Road, Farrow Street
• The Simon Vermooten Road crossing with Farrow Street.
Simon Vermooten Road , Lynwood Road
• The Simon Vermooten Road crossing with Lynwood Road.
Lynwood Road, N1
• The Lynwood Road on ramp from the N1.
Hans Strydom, N4
• The Hans Strydom off ramp off the N4 highway.
Hans Strijdom, R21
• The intersection between Hans Strijdom and the R21.
• The Atterbury off ramp off the N1.
• Be alert at crossings by Pretorius Street.
Schoeman Street, Duncan
• The crossing at Schoeman Street and Duncan.
Schoeman Street, Hilda
• The crossing at Schoeman Street and Hilda.
Schoeman Street, Grosvenor
• The crossing at Schoeman Street and Grosvenor.
Hijacking hotspots - Johannesburg:
Hijacking hotspots - Durban: Alpine Road
Kelvin Street, CR Swart
• The corner of Kelvin Street and CR Swart.
Pretoria Road , CR Swart
• The corner of Pretoria Road and CR Swart.
Elgin Road, Pretoria Road
• The corner of Elgin Road and Pretoria Road.
Linksfield Road, N3
• Linksfield Road off ramp off the N3.
Booysens Road, M1
• Booysens Road off ramp off the M1.
Nelson Mandela Bridge
• The Nelson Mandela Bridge, be alert.
Wolmarans, Claim, Nugget
• Wolmarans between Claim and Nugget.
• The corner of Harrow and Saratoga.
• The corner of Harrow and Abel.
Houghton Drive, M1
• The Houghton Drive off ramp off the M1.
Jan Smuts Avenue, St Andrews
• The corner of Jan Smuts Avenue and St Andrews.
17th Street, Krause Street, Pageview
•The corner of 17th Street and Krause Street in Pageview.
Heidelberg Road, N17
• The Heidelberg Road Off ramp off the N17.
• Traffic lights on Kyalami Drive.
Beyers Naude, N1
• The Beyers Naude offramp off the N1 highway.
Sunninghill, N1, Rivonia
• Rivonia off ramp off the N1 highway in Sunninghill.
• Midrand road near Clayville Residents.
Grayston, Rivonia, 11th Street.
• The intersection of Grayston and Rivonia and the intersection of Grayston and 11th Street.
11th Avenue, Empire Road
• 11th Avenue and Empire Road off ramps.
Jan Smuts Avenue, William Nicol Drive, Hyde Park
• The Jan Smuts Avenue/ William Nicol Drive split in Hyde Park.
• Intersections on Witkoppen Road.
Bramley Precinct, Wynberg, Bramley, Marlboro, Kew
• Bramley Precinct, areas such as Wynberg, Bramley, Marlboro and Kew.
Yeoville Precinct, Yeoville, Bellevue, Bellevue East
• Yeoville Precinct, areas such as Yeoville,Bellevue and Bellevue East.
Norwood Precinct, Orange Grove, Highlands
• The Norwood Precinct, areas such as Orange Grove and Highlands.
Sandringham Precinct, Glenhazel, Lombardy East, Sandringham
• The Sandringham Precinct, areas such as Glenhazel, Lombardy East and Sandringham.
Parkview Precinct, 11th avenue, 7th Avenue
• The Parkview Precinct, areas between 10th and 11th avenue and 4th and 7th Avenue in Parkhurst.
Hillbrow Precinct, Upper Houghton, Killarney
• The Hillbrow Precinct, areas such as Upper Houghton and Killarney.
Rosebank Precinct, Saxonwold, Parkwood
• The Rosebank Precinct, areas such as Saxonwold and Parkwood.
Christiaan de Wet, Wilgerood road, Roodepoort
• The intersection between Christiaan de Wet and Wilgerood road in Roodepoort.
Louis Botha Avenue, M11, Hillbrow, Alexandra
• Louis Botha Avenue, the M11. Be aware at the traffic lights, especially between Hillbrow and Alexandra.
• Riviera off ramp coming off the M1.
Fairland Ex. 6, 11th Avenue, Fairland
• 11th Avenue in Fairland, near Fairland Ex. 6.
Alexandra, 1st Avenue, Pretoria Main road
• The corner of Pretoria Main road and 1st Avenue in Alexandra.
New road, N1, traffic lights
• New road off ramp coming off the N1, be aware at the traffic lights.
William Nichol, N1 highway
• William Nichol off ramp coming off the N1 highway.
READ: SA crime stats 2015/2016
• Be aware along Alpine Road.West Street
• Be aware of crossings on West Street.Warwick Avenue , Smith Street
• The corner of Warwick Avenue and Smith Street.