--
 
New Sasol GTC cars set for thrills

The iconic Grand Prix Circuit will present a new challenge to the GTC drivers as they tackle the country’s fastest racetrack on June 16.

Suzuki’s new Swift hatch and sedan in SA

Suzuki kicks off its new model assault with an all new Swift hatchback and standalone sedan called the Dzire.

Sainz waiting for Toro Rosso call-up

2014-11-25 10:57

NEW DRIVER: Toro Rosso is expected to make an announcement for its 2015 driver line-up. Will rookie driver Carlos Sainz Jnr (above) replace Jean-Eric Vergne? Image: Facebook

LONDON, England - Carlos Sainz, son of the same-named World Rally championship driver, says he hopes Toro Rosso will announce his 2015 debut soon.

Major Spanish sports newspapers AS and Marca have reported that the 20-year-old has been selected by Helmut Marko to race alongside fellow rookie Max Verstappen in the 2015 Formula 1 season.

There had been suggestions that team owner Red Bull would instead keep the experienced Jean-Eric Vergne but insiders say the 24-year-old's body language changed suddenly for the worse in the Abu Dhabi paddock last weekend.

PROTOCOL DISREGARDED

Then on Sunday, in another sign that he has definitely lost the seat for 2015, Vergne appeared to breach Red Bull protocol by fighting aggressively on track against Daniel Ricciardo, the lead driver for the energy drink company's main team.

It is believed Vergne is now in talks with Williams about replacing the Sauber-bound Felipe Nasr as reserve driver for 2015.

Sainz and his well-known namesake father were already in the Abu Dhabi paddock ahead of the youngster's test for Red Bull Racing on Tuesday (Nov 25).

Marca reported they were walking around the Yas Marina paddock with "undisguised happiness" after meetings with Toro Rosso officials.

Sainz jr, the current Formula Renault 3.5 champion, said: "I hope the announcement is made this coming week. I can do no more. We'll see what happens."

NEXT ON WHEELS24X

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.