--
 
New Sasol GTC cars set for thrills

The iconic Grand Prix Circuit will present a new challenge to the GTC drivers as they tackle the country’s fastest racetrack on June 16.

Suzuki’s new Swift hatch and sedan in SA

Suzuki kicks off its new model assault with an all new Swift hatchback and standalone sedan called the Dzire.

Monza in more talks with Bernie

2015-07-05 21:44

ALL FOR NOTHING? Earlier in 2014 F1 fans were outraged when the famous Parabolica curve at Monza was tarred. Now there might even be another race at the track.Image: Twitter

SILVERSTONE, England - Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says he is still hoping to keep Monza on the calendar after 2016 following further discussions with Italian Grand Prix officials but the situation remains open.

"Nothing at the moment," the 84-year-old told Reuters at the 2015 British GP when asked whether any progress had been made.

He confirmed, however, that another meeting with circuit representatives had taken place.

CALENDAR COMEBACK?

Ecclestone in June raised the prospect of Imola returning to F1, with talk in Italy of a possible alternation agreement between that circuit and Monza.

Monza, the fastest track in F1, has been on the calendar since the championship started in 1950 and is loved by Italians as the 'Pista Magica'.

However, its future has been clouded by uncertainty over whether a new deal can be agreed.

"I don't think we'll do another contract, the old one was a disaster for us from the commercial point of view. After 2016, bye bye...," Ecclestone told the Gazzetta dello Sport a year ago.

Ecclestone's meeting with Monza representatives was his first since Monaco in May, after which the Briton had been blunt in his assessment.

"It's useless to keep on talking. In order to have a grand prix, you need money. If the money is there, the race takes place," he said then.

Read the 2015 British GP here as it happened.

NEXT ON WHEELS24X

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.