How to buy a classic motorcycle in SA?

'There are a few things you need to consider,’ writes bike guru Dries Van der Walt.

Top family cars in SA

Wheels24's Janine Van der Post has gone from a 'SpeedQueen' to a supermom. Check out her list of top family cars.

Explore the Zambezi...

2006-03-10 15:16

Based on the success of last year's final this one is going to be even more challenging and more fun.

The finalists will follow the 2 700 km long river, which is the fourth longest in Africa, from its origin near Mwinilunga on the DRC border to its mouth at Chindu on the coast of Mozambique.

The adventurers will endeavour to stick as close as possible to the routes of Dr. David Livingstone, who explored this route between 1849 and 1865.

The finalists will also attempt to revisit and log as many of his discoveries as possible - some better known than others.

The route is a mental challenge to man and a physical challenge to machine - be ready to experience life in no other way possible.


The Overland Challenge tests and develops areas such as driving, teamwork, theoretical knowledge and practical application while participants visit some of the most beautiful and challenging Southern African destinations.

Competitors receive training on various Overland related topics and the event is also used as a vehicle for overland-orientated research and community upliftment.

The competition is suitable for beginners through to the most experienced Overlanders and competitors will not be expected to do physical orientated activities and exercises.

The Overland challenge is a competition consisting of three rounds with the best scoring teams of each round going through to the next round.

A team consists of a driver, co-driver and your own 4X4 vehicle with low range.

The competition is neither a staged lifestyle event nor a long 4X4 trail, but a competition to identify the best Overlanders in Southern Africa based on each team's results.

10 best teams

The prize for the ten best teams is to be invited to the Final.

All non-car related expenses e.g. food, accommodation, etc are sponsored for each team during the Final.

The Qualification rounds are held over a full day within an hour's drive from Gauteng and Cape Town.

The entrance fee is R798 per team and only a maximum of 250 teams can enter. The Qualification rounds starts in April and run through to the end of July 2006.

The Semi-final round is a five-day expedition to the Makgadikgadi Pans in Botswana.

One cent is donated for every km travelled to the WWF endorsed Southern African Conservation Education Trust. Extensive overland focused research is conducted during the Semi final and Final rounds.

Learning aids

These rounds are also used to donate learning aids to schools adjacent to our routes.

All activities and results are published on the Overland Challenge website on a daily basis in order for friends and family to share the participant's experience and follow their progress.

A range of competitive activities determines 70% of a team's final score with the remaining 30% scored by fellow competitors.

All results are audited in order to ensure fair evaluation and that only the highest scoring teams reach the next round.

No special equipment is required for the Qualification round. However, basic overland equipment is required during further rounds.

The entrance fee includes all costs except those associated with your vehicle such as fuel and insurance.

Each round incorporates weekends into its schedule to minimise excessive leave requirements, and families are welcome to join the adventure.

For further details or to enter the competition, go to or phone Anton Matthee on 082 789 3314 or Kobie van Heerden on 084 983 1298


Audi Q7 - SUV with attitude

2006-02-27 17:52

Inside Wheels24

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.