Lead SA: New road campaign
CRASH CAMPAIGN: Should Lead SA extend its 'name and shame' call beyond the highways?
JOHANNESBURG - Lead SA has again called on the authorities to partner a campaign to name and shame convicted drunk drivers.
The call was made at the launch of the Road Traffic Management Corporation's media campaign in Pretoria on Dec 20 2012 that's been titled "Get There. No Regrets.".
The movement's Yusuf Abramjee said; "It is worrying to hear that 60% of pedestrians and drivers die drunk."
Early in 2011 Lead SA launched a pilot project in the Western Cape to name and shame convicted drunk drivers. Provincial authorities say that it has led to a decline in the number of people driving under the influence of alcohol.
Lead SA has repeatedly called on the justice minister Jeff Radebe to launch the programme nationally.
He gave a public commitment earlier in 2012 that it would be done but failed "despite numerous follow-ups by Lead SA".
Abramjee said: "If we are really serious about making a difference and bringing down the incidence of drunk driving we believe that the name-and-shame campaign will make a difference. We again call on government to act with urgency."
The RTMC indicated that road deaths would drop by 30% if everybody buckled-up - a call Lead SA continues to make on all South Africans.
Lead SA has called on people to drive safely and to obey by the rules of the road.
WHEELS24 says: If local newspapers covered magistrates' courts properly, as they used to do, there would be no need for such a campaign. Such reporting would also identify wife-beaters, child-abusers, sexual exhibitionists, general drunks, thieves, bigamists, shoplifters and drug peddlers and expose them to public derision and loathing, too. Perhaps Abramjee would like to extend his Lead SA campaign to expose all these anti-social and dangerous people, too.