DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - In February 2014, Wheels24 reported that Porsche was recalling all 785 units of its 911 GT3 sports cars because two caught fire in Europe.On Thursday (March 20) the automaker reported that it would replace the engines of all units affected and explained that engine damage resulted from "a loosened screw joint on an engine connecting-rod".The loose connecting rod damaged the crankcase, which in both cases led to an oil leak which subsequently ignited.Now Wheels24 has been told the affected engine blocks will be replaced totally and the suspect units scrapped.ACTION TO BE DISCUSSEDEngines with optimised screw fittings will be used in all 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 units, including those that have not yet been delivered.Porsche HQ also told Wheels24: "Relevant Porsche Centres are communicating with customers worldwide to discuss any further course of action."Wheels24 asked Porsche what would happen to the in some cases brand-new and very expensive engines - would they be updated with the new connection and installed in other cars... or scrapped?The request elicted this reply on March 21 from Porsche HQ: "Porsche has approved corrective actions, which are undergoing intensive trials. After successful completion of these trials, the actions will be implemented step-by-step in the new Porsche 911 GT3 cars (model year 2014)."After we have successfully tested the corrective actions, we will inform the affected customers of the results and the further course of action."Safety comes first and therefore we will replace the entire engine block. There is no further use for the former engines."No other 911 models are affected by the recall.Back in February 2014, Porsche advised owners of the 785 affected vehicles to avoid driving them until further notice and that the vehicles would be picked up by a Porsche Centre.Porsche SA said no new GT3 models had yet been delivered in South Africa and none would be until corrective procedures had been effected: "Clearly, it is our mission to minimise these delays."200 000 DELIVERIES IN 2015Since no registrations had taken place in South Africa, re-registration would not be required. A spokesman said at the time this report was first published that he was unable to comment on what would happen to the damaged engines.Porsche's CEO Matthias Mueller said the automaker planned to exceed 200 000 deliveries in 2015, three years earlier than projected.Demand is expected to increase with the launch of the Macan SUV later in 2014.Porsche’s deliveries rose 15% to a record 162 145 vehicles in 2013 as demand for its Boxster and Cayman more than doubled.