HAMILTON DOMINATES: Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton grabbed his 10th pole of 11 races for the 2015 F1 season. Image: AFP / John Thys
SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS, Belgium - Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton took his 10th pole in 11 races on Saturday with Mercedes team mate Nico Rosberg qualifying second on the Belgian Grand Prix grid.
Finland's Valtteri Bottas qualified third for Williams and will be joined on the second row by Force India's Mexican Sergio Perez due to a five-place grid penalty for Lotus's Romain Grosjean ahead of him.
Hamilton, who is now assured of the F1 pole trophy, leads closest rival Rosberg by 21 points after 10 of the season's 19 races.
Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen failed to make it into the final phase of qualifying after his car's engine cut and he ground to a halt on the track. The Finn's German team mate Sebastian Vettel qualified ninth but will start eighth.
READ: 2015 Belgian GP Qualifying: As it happened
2015 Belgian GP Qualifying results
1. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) Mercedes 1:47.197
2. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes 1:47.655
3. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) Williams-Mercedes 1:48.537
4. Romain Grosjean (France) Lotus - Mercedes 1:48.561
5. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Force India - Mercedes 1:48.599
6. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) RedBull - Renault 1:48.639
7. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Williams-Mercedes 1:48.685
8. Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela) Lotus - Mercedes 1:48.754
9. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Ferrari 1:48.825
10. Carlos Sainz Jr (Spain) Toro Rosso - Renault 1:49.771
11. Nico Hulkenberg (Germany) Force India - Mercedes 1:49.121
12. Daniil Kvyat (Russia) RedBull - Renault 1:49.228
13. Marcus Ericsson (Sweden) Sauber - Ferrari 1:49.586
14. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari
15. Max Verstappen (Netherlands) Toro Rosso - Renault
16. Felipe Nasr (Brazil) Sauber - Ferrari 1:49.952
17. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren 1:50.978
18. Fernando Alonso (Spain) McLaren 1:51.420
19. Will Stevens (Britain) Marussia - Ferrari 1:52.948
20. Roberto Merhi (Spain) Marussia - Ferrari 1:53.099