How to buy a classic motorcycle in SA?

'There are a few things you need to consider,’ writes bike guru Dries Van der Walt.

Top family cars in SA

Wheels24's Janine Van der Post has gone from a 'SpeedQueen' to a supermom. Check out her list of top family cars.

Fiat gains full control of Chrysler

2014-01-02 10:02

FULL CONTROL: Italian automaker Fiat struck a R38-billion deal to gain full control of Chrysler, ending more than a year of tense negations. Image: SUPPPLIED

DETROIT, Michigan - Fiat has reached an agreement with the United Auto Workers (UAW) to purchase the rest of Chrysler.  The R38-billion deal marks the culmination of years of negotiations between the automakers, reports Detroit News.

Fiat acquired control of a then bankrupt Chrysler as part of a 2009 bailout deal brokered by the US Obama administration.


The Italian automaker owns 58.5% of the automaker but has long sought to acquire the remaining 41.5% from the UAW, which was given shares in Chrysler in exchange for concessions.

Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne and chairman John Elkann called it “a historic day” for both Fiat and Chrysler.

Marchionne said: “After a protracted negotiation, we have reached an agreement that, through the acquisition by Fiat of a 100% equity interest in Chrysler, enables us to complete the union between the two groups in both financial and technical terms.”

Elkann said" “I have been looking forward to this day from the very moment that we were chosen to assist in the rebuilding of a vibrant Chrysler back in 2009."

Chrysler will pay the UAW trust four annual installments, this means the automaker will bear much of the cost of its acquisition by Fiat.

As part of the deal, the UAW agreed to continue to support Fiat’s efforts to turn around the struggling automaker.

Read more on:    fiat  |  chrysler  |  industry  |  shares

Inside Wheels24

Opel Astra 1.4T Enjoy auto – understated and smart new hatch

When it comes to the mid-size hatchback choice, there are a few default choices, a few bland ones… and some often overlooked cars. The Opel Astra hatch is an example of the latter, writes David Swanepoel. - Sponsored

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.