GUILTY: Former Formula 1 driver Franck Montagny has been suspended for testing positive for cocaine. Image: Shutterstock / Oskar Schuler
PARIS, France - Former Formula 1 driver Franck Montagny has been handed a two-year suspension by the sport's governing body after testing positive for a metabolite of cocaine.
The Frenchman, 37, failed doping control in November 2014 during a Formula E race weekend in Malaysia and had been provisionally suspended since December 23 2014.
After hearing his case the International Automobile Federation's Anti-Doping Disciplinary Commission said Montagny's ban would end on December 23 2016.
In an interview with L'Equipe newspaper earlier this year, Montagny admitted his guilt and said he did not ask for a second sample to be tested.
Montagny drove in seven F1 races in 2006 for the then Super Aguri team.
He can appeal against the ban through the Court of Arbitration for Sport.