Cosatu to protest N4 toll fees
COSATU PROTEST VENUE: Above shows the Swartruggens toll plaza ahead of the Cosatu strike on January 25 2013.
CAPE TOWN - A planned protest at the Swartruggens toll plaza in North West will go ahead on Friday, January 24 2013 Cosatu said.
It would go ahead despite hiccups experienced obtaining permission from law enforcement, Cosatu North West provincial secretary Solly Phetoe said.
Cosatu wanted to hold an overnight protest last week to demand that toll fees be scrapped, or reduced from R71 to R20, for a standard car. While it did not have permission for an overnight protest, it would be allowed to march on Friday, January 24 2013 he said.
'BURDEN ON POOR PEOPLE'
Phetoe said: “We will be marching to the toll gate to demand answers on the memorandum submitted to the department of transport and Sanral to reduce the toll fees, as it put a social burden on to the poor people of the province and the country in general.”
The march to the toll gate would start at noon from Swartruggens.