Car show girls told to cover up
KEEP IT CLEAN: Belgium's equal opportunities minister Joelle Milquet has appealed to the Brussels motor show to refrain from using scantily dressed women to promote cars.
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM - Automakers showing off their latest models at the Brussels motor show later in January 2013 have been told to refrain from using scantily dressed women to promote their wares.
Reports of lewd behaviour by some male visitors at last year's event prompted Belgium's equal opportunities minister Joelle Milquet to write to the organisers.
She criticised the use of women in body-hugging outfits for advertising purposes.
Milquet said: "A motor show is a place where you go with your family, we have to question the stereotypes we are passing on to children and young adults."
Belgian auto federation Febiac, which organises the annual event, said that following the letter it had asked carmakers to ensure appropriate dress at their stands.
A spokesman for Febiac said: "We asked them to be responsible and sensible and we hope that everything will go well.”
Suzuki Belgium said it planned make sure its promotional staff at the show complied with the request.
A company spokesman said: "I can tell you that it won't be shocking and that Ms Milquet will have no reason whatsoever to complain about it.”
The organisers of the Jan. 11-20 show are expecting to attract some 350 000 visitors.