FERRARI MAN AT AUDI: Former Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali has been recruited by Audi though, the automaker says, he won't be involved in motorsport. Image: AP/ Luca Bruno
INGOLSTADT, Germany - Audi has knocked down speculation that it will field a Formula 1 entry in 2016 despite recruiting former Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali to an unspecified role.
Audi motorsport head Wolfgang Ullrich told autosport.com: "There is no decision that we are going in that direction. Audi has a motorsport programme based at the moment on the World Endurance championship and DTM (German Touring Cars) and we are working on cars for next season.
"There is no other programme.
AUDI TO POACH ALONSO?
Ullrich confirmed that Domenicali had joined Audi but said he would not be involved in motorsport.
The speculation grew after Audi stablemate Porsche's return to Le Mans as a full works entry. Both are part of Volkswagen AG that also owns supercar brands Lamborghini and Bugatti.
F1's latest race in Austin, Texas (Nov 2) saw only nine teams on the grid: Caterham and Marussia went under financial administration.
Ullrich added that there had been no contact with Ferrari's double F1 champion Fernando Alonso who is set to leave the Italian team and has yet to reveal where he is headed, despite most signs pointing to McLaren.Alonso was at the 2014 Le Mans 24 Hours endurance race, won by Audi, as the honorary starter.
Stay with Wheels24 for the 2014 Brazilian F1 GP weekend.