PREVIOUSLY LOVED: Make sure you are informed when buying a second-hand vehicle.Image: Shutterstock
Buying a car is one of the biggest purchases you will ever make. However, with our economy being so unstable at the moment, the reality is that buying a pre-owned car is almost always the wiser financial decision.
Here are SIX REASONS from Imperial Auto on why you should consider the pre-owned market.
There’s great value to be had in the "previously loved" vehicle market with something available for every taste and every budget at the many pre-owned vehicle dealers across South Africa.
However, it’s worth entering this market with more of a cautious approach than you would enter the market for a new vehicle, simply because you want to be sure that your purchase lives up to your dreams and expectations, says the auto company.
Imperial Auto asked its network of used-vehicle dealers for their advice and condensed the informatioin into the following check-list to run through BEFORE you sign the deal.
• Talk to experts: While there are many credible dealers out there, your best bet is to start with a pre-owned vehicle dealer that is part of a franchised dealer network. These organisations typically have stringent policies and procedures in place to check the quality of pre-owned vehicles, giving you the peace of mind that you are purchasing your own dream car, and not taking on someone else’s cast-off nightmare.
• Safety first: Each vehicle manufacturer has a standard pre-owned safety check list, and all pre-owned cars processed by franchised dealers are checked against these lists to make sure that they still comply with all safety requirements. No doubt you’ll be transporting your family or friends in your vehicle, and you’ll want to be sure that they – and you – will be safe.
• Comply with the law: South African legislation requires that every pre-owned vehicle is subject to a roadworthy test before ownership is transferred. Above-board dealerships will take care of this process for you, making sure that anything preventing the roadworthy certificate being issued is taken care of before the sale is concluded.
• Be prepared: Make yourself a checklist to work through when you’re looking at pre-owned cars, no matter which dealership you’re working with. Questions should include: When was the car first registered?
What is the reading on the odometer?
What is the general condition of the car?
Has the car been in an accident?
Has this car been resprayed?
Is it possible to extend the warranty or service plan on this car?
Does this car have a complete and authentic service record?
Were services completed at an authorized dealership?
• Test the car: Always test drive the car before you make your final decision. If you’re interested in a particular vehicle, chat to an Imperial Auto concierge serviceman in your area to help you find within your radius that particular vehicle for testing.
• Consider your options: Online shopping has changed the way that we make purchases, and the same is true when it comes to shopping for cars. You will have so many more options to choose from if you look for a vehicle on any of the online vehicle sales websites that service South Africa.
Imperial Auto stocks a wide selection of used cars, SUV's, motorcycles, utility vehicles and commercials. For more information about your nearest dealer or to find a used vehicle that suits your needs, visit the Imperial Auto website