NEW MODELS: Opel will be launching a huge model offensive in 2017, with seven new vehicles planned. Image: AFP / Frank Rumpenhorst
Cape Town - In 2017 Opel will be driving flat out in all vehicle categories. “7 in 17” is the name of the model offensive with seven new vehicles coming in 2017.
Never before has Opel had so many new models in a single calendar year, says the automaker.
The “7 in 17” are part of the extensive model offensive with 29 new models between 2016 and 2020.
'7 in 17'
Opel CEO Dr. Karl-Thomas Neumann said: “With these seven new models for 2017 Opel will become a completely different brand within the next 12 months. We are making electro-mobility feasible for everyday driving with the Ampera-e.
"And with the equally new crossover vehicles in the B and C segments we are extending our portfolio in a decisive area, which will give our growth significant additional impetus.”
General Motors South Africa says it will consider every vehicle on this list, but that it will also have to look at the viability of each car for the SA market and if it fits the company's local business model.
The seven new models are:
1. Introduced at the 2016 Paris motor show, the Ampera-e will be launched in 2017. It has an electric range of more than 500km and, Opel says, the Ampera-e will "offer sportscar performance and the spaciousness of a five-door in the compact class".
2. The Opel Insignia Grand Sport is a five-door sedan fitted with all-wheel drive. This model will be produced in Rüsselsheim.
3. Like the Insignia Grand Sport, the new Opel Insignia Sports Tourer shares design traits with the 2013 Opel Monza Concept. Interior space has increased over that of its predecessor, especially at the rear seats and in the trunk, Opel says.
4. The Opel Insignia Country Tourer is an adventurer with all-wheel drive and off-road looks, says Opel. The automaker describes the Country Tourer as "the right choice for winter-sport enthusiasts, outdoor fans and anyone who appreciates an individual appearance".
5. New Opel Vivaro
6. At the beginning of 2017, Opel's SUV in the B-segment - the Mokka X - will be joined by a new crossover model: the Opel Crossland X.
7. Opel will extend its offer in the compact class with a sporty crossover model joining the Astra and the Zafira. Opel is being rather secretive regarding its crossover, we'll post images as soon as we have them.