LIMITED EDITION: Opel South Africa have made 50 units of their Adam S available. Image: Quickpic
• 110kW 1.4 litre Turbo petrol engine
• Limited to 50 units
• Special chassis, steering and OPC braking system
Port Elizabeth – Opel has introduced its range-topping Adam S in South Africa. Aimed at young buyers seeking exclusivity, only 50 units are available locally.
The Adam S is priced at R330 000.
The Adam S is powered by a turbocharged 1.4 litre Ecotec petrol capable of 110kW/220Nm. The S reaches 100km/h in 8.5 seconds and has a top speed of 210km/h. Fuel consumption is rated at 5.9 litres/100km with emissions of 139 grams/km.
The new hatch is available in three colour combos; Saturday White Fever, Shiny Rock and Red ‘n’ Roll.
Image gallery: Opel Adam S
Its 18" ‘Propeller’ wheels have a distinctive five spoke design, with red brake callipers clearly visible.
• The roof-coloured rear-wing is the most obvious change and importantly, it adds 100 Newtons of rear-downforce at speed.
• A deeper front spoiler performs a similar role to the wing, adding downforce as speed increases to maintain the front/rear aerodynamic balance.
• Opel says the big wheels not only add gravitas by filling the wheel arches to capacity, but their lightweight design reduces unsprung weight and also improves throttle response by minimising inertia.
• Performance tyres measuring 225/35/18 are fitted, and along with the offset of the wheel result in increased track width (1472mm in front and 1 464 at the back).
Under the skin the Adam S boasts a stiffer front anti-roll bar and stiffer springs. In addition Opel has upgraded the brakes to the same specification as the previous-generation Corsa OPC – this means front discs of 308mm, grabbed by callipers with increased pad area.
The torsion-beam rear axle has also been made more rigid, which along with the uprated springs provides sharper handling.
Inside the Adam S has a leather steering wheel, leather-wrapped gear lever, rubber-studded pedals, Recaro leather sport seats and full racing harness. The 'Red Your Engine' décor pack is standard - red leather detailing for the gearknob, lower arc of the steering wheel and handbrake.
The Adam S is based on the Adam Jam Xtreme and has the following standard features - aircon, height and reach-adjustable steering wheel, power windows, cruise control and a split/foldable rear seat. In teams of safety it has advanced park assist, blind spot alert, Intellilink and Siri Eyes Free.
* The Adam S is sold with a five year or 120 000km warranty and three year or 60 000km service plan.