Freshened with a number of styling changes for 2006, Toyota's Verso is set to continue its sales success in a revised model range with three specification levels and an aggressive new pricing structure.
This comes together with cosmetic changes across the range and added value specification and pricing for the SX and TX models.
The new range consists of the Verso 160, Verso 160 SX and Verso 180 TX. All feature a revised frontal appearance with a new grille design while the 160 SX and 180 TX models now have smoked "privacy" glass as standard for the rear side windows. Door scuff plates are also added on these two models.
Added value comes in the form of front and rear park assist for the Verso 160 SX. This is also a standard specification item on the Corolla Verso 180 TX. An electric "moon roof" is fitted as standard to the Verso 180 TX. White leather trim is available as an on-cost option on this model.
The prices of the new Verso range reflect the added value evident in this revised MPV range from Toyota. The price of the base model Verso 160 remains unchanged at R179 700.
The new specification Verso 160 SX with front and rear park assist and privacy glass is priced at R199 700, while the top of the range Verso 180 TX is priced at R227 400 - the price that previously applied to the Verso 180 SX model.
Prices include VAT and a 5 year/90 000 km service plan. The leather seat option for the Verso 180 SX costs R10 000 including Vat.
Both the Verso 160 and 180 variants are powered by lightweight aluminium four cylinder engines that are similar to those used in the Corolla sedan. Drive is via a 5-speed manual transmission.
Maximum power available for the 1.6 litre models is 81kW @ 6000 r/min with torque of 150 Nm @ 3800 r/min. The 1.8 litre engine produces 95 kW @ 6000 r/min and peak torque is 170 Nm @ 4200 r/min. As used in the Corolla Verso these engines have full Euro Step 4 emission certification.
All models in the range feature Toyota's innovative Easy Flat-7 seven-seat, fold flat interior. This system offers great versatility with as many as 32 different variations of seat versus load capacity available.
The base line Verso 160 boasts a high level of specification. The SX specification level adds further luxury and convenience items. The top of the range TX specification builds further on the luxury and convenience item specification list.
A key-card entry system, an electronic steering lock, and a high level of intrusion protection are standard. Added to this is a focus on both low maintenance costs ? the Corolla Verso is sold with Toyota's 5 year/90 000 kilometre ToyotaCare Service Plan ? and low accident repair costs.
Service intervals are 15 000 kilometres. A 3 year/100 000km warranty applies with 24 hour roadside assistance available through the warranty period.
A reduction in repair costs, particularly those resulting from lower speed accidents, is achieved by the use of replaceable crushable structures that isolate the main chassis structure from damage by absorbing crash energy in lower speed impacts.
A number of crash sensitive parts, including the headlights, are also designed to break away from their mountings at pre-determined points to inhibit the level of damage and lower the cost of replacement parts.
The Corolla Verso 160 is the "entry level" model in the three model range and boasts a high level of specification. to set the tone for the whole range including:
- Disc brakes all round with ABS and EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution).
- 205/55 R16 91V tyres mounted on 6.5JX16 steel wheels.
- Power steering.
- Air conditioner with clean air filter.
- Rear heater ducts.
- Tinted windows all round with sound absorbing acoustic windscreen.
- Power windows at the front.
- Power side mirrors.
- Illuminated entry system.
- Map reading lights.
- Optitron instrumentation with multi-function display.
- Steering wheel adjustment for rake and reach.
- Front and rear cup holders.
- Auxiliary power point.
- RDS Radio with front-loading CD player.
- Satellite audio controls on steering wheel.
- Dual stage driver and passenger airbags with passenger airbag on/off switch.
- Driver side knee airbag and side airbags for both front seats.
- 3-point seat belts for all seven seats.
- ISO-FIX rear child seat anchors with top tethers.
- Headlamp levelling device.
- Rear fog light.
- Remote control central locking including tailgate.
- Luggage compartment cover.
- Headlamp on and seat belt fastened warning buzzers.
- 5 storage compartments.
- Height adjustable front seats.
- Daytona cloth trim
For the Corolla Verso 160 SX the following items are added:
- Brake assist system (Assists in optimising braking effort in emergencies).
- Vehicle stability control and traction control.
- Park assist ? front and rear.
- Privacy glass.
- Full airbag protection with 7-airbags including curtain side airbags on all four passenger doors.
- 205/55 R16 91V tyres mounted on 6.5JX16 alloy wheels.
- Automatic climate control air conditioning.
- Automatic rain-sensing windscreen wipers.
- Power windows front and rear.
- Electrochromatic rear view mirror.
- Illumination for vanity mirror in sunvisor.
- RDS Radio with in-dash 6 CD shuttle.
- Cruise control.
- Driver and passenger centre armrests.
- Leather steering wheel and gear knob covers.
- Double lock system.
- Front and rear fog lights.
- Estoril cloth trim.
Moving up to the top of the range Corolla Verso 180 TX the specification is enhanced with an electrically operated moon roof and a 1.8 litre engine.
The Corolla Verso has a 60 litre fuel tank.
Towing weights are 450 kg for an unbraked trailer and 1 000 kg for a trailer with overrun brakes.