ONE-LITRE WONDER: Renault will unveil its one-litre concept, the Eolab, at the 2014 Paris auto show on October 2. Image: Renault
• Eolab capable of 1-litre/100km
• 100 technological innovations
• 400kg lighter than equivalent Clio
• Debut at 2014 Paris auto show
Renault has unveiled its Eolab – an environmental prototype with "nearly 100 technological innovations designed to deliver low fuel consumption" of 1-litre/100km.
The concept is scheduled to make its global debut at the 2014 Paris auto show on October 2 2014. The Eolab, says Renault, not only previews innovative technology but it’s destined to be introduced on future Renault models.
The automaker claims its Eolab is “the vision of such a realistic and affordable B-segment car that will appear within ten years”.
IMAGE GALLERY: 2014 Renault Eolab concept
The car derives its moniker from combining the name of ‘Aeolous’ (god and ruler of the Winds in Greek mythology) and 'Laboratory’.
It uses a 1.0-litre, three cylinder 56kW SCe petrol engine combined with a 6.7kWh Lithium–ion battery. It’s capable of achieving 1-litresl/100km with emissions of 22g/km.
According to Renault: "This was achieved by three main areas: minimising weight, refining aerodynamics and using ‘ZE Hybrid’ technology for all, a brand new initiative which permits zero emissions motoring during everyday use."
ULTRA-LOW FUEL CONSUMPTION
It uses materials such as magnesium and aluminium, which are light and also much cheaper than titanium. A weight saving programme brought the car’s mass down by 400kg compared to the current Clio, thanks to a multi-material body shell combining steel, aluminium and composites, as well as a magnesium roof.
The automaker also says that its ZE Hybrid technology is a new, compact and affordable hybrid power unit which combines ultra-low fuel consumption with zero-emission mobility for journeys of less than 60km and at speeds of up to 120km/h.
• 100 new technological developments to be introduced on new Renaults
• Aerodynamics of 0.235 Cd (30% less than equivalent Clio)
• Active ride height: Access mode, urban mode and extra-urban mode
• Active wheels – react to brake temperature to maximise Cd
• Active front spoiler, rear flaps
• 400kg lighter than Clio
• Compact revised brakes – no master cylinder & all systems integrated into one small lightweight unit
• Narrow 145/45R17 Michelin ultra-low consumption tyres
• Ultra-thin windscreen glass (3mm) – saves 2.6kg
• Thinner interior trim & lighter plastics containing air bubbles
• Optimised seat structures – saves 12kg and 30mm in car length
• Lightweight dashboard cross member
• Lighter running gear – steel to aluminium
• Magnesium roof weighs just 4.5kg
• Brakes are 14.5kg lighter
• LED front lights
• Lithium–ion battery
• Compact centre-exit exhaust system
• 100% Renault ZE Hybrid powertrain
• 1.0-litre 3-cylinder 56kW SCe petrol engine
• 400V, 6.7kWh battery with 66km range
• Innovative patented clutchless three-gear transmission
• Human Machine Interface – connectivity and real-time eco-driving information
Looking for a new Renault? Check out Gumtree's excellent range of vehicles!