NEW A4 IN SA: Audi's new A4 will begin its battle with the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes C-Class in the competitive premium sedan segment. Image: Wheels24/ Sergio Davids
George - The ninth-generation Audi A4 has arrived in South Africa, 16mm wider and 25mm longer than its predecessor.
The new model boasts 90% new parts, and across the range benefits from 25% more power and 21% less fuel consumption.
*Remember to read our driving impression of the new A4 next week
The entry-level model is powered by a 1.4-litre turbocharged engine with 110kW/250Nm. The other two petrol models both use a 2.0-litre turbocharged unit but with varying outputs: 140kW/320Nm for the lower spec and 185kW/370Nm for the four-wheel drive version.
There's only one diesel engine available, a 2.0-litre TDI with 140kW/400Nm.
Audi will only offer a manual gearbox on the entry-level 1.4T model and their S-Tronic gearbox, a dual-clutch unit, as standard across the range.
New trim levels
The A4 offers three trim levels: Standard, Design and Sport. Standout standard features include:
• 17" alloys (2.0T/2.0TDI)
• Xenon headlights
• Multi-functon steering wheel with paddle shifts (S-Tronic models)
• Tyre pressure monitoring system
• Keyless go
• MMI radio plus with Bluetooth
Audi offers their optional virtual cockpit in the new A4, it's a fully digital combination instrument, features a 31cm LCD screen that displays the most important information in high-resolution graphics.
The new Audi A4 will be priced as follows, including the standard 5 year/100 000km Audi Freeway Plan.
• 1.4 T FSI manual - R 441 000
• 1.4 T FSI S tronic - R 459 000
• 1.4 T FSI S tronic Sport - R 492 000
• 1.4 T FSI S tronic Design - R 488 000
• 2.0 T FSI S tronic - R 496 000
• 2.0 T FSI S tronic Sport - R517 000
• 2.0 T FSI S tronic Design - R 513 000
• 2.0 TDI Base S tronic - R 517 000
• 2.0 TDI S tronic Sport - R 538 000
• 2.0 TDI S tronic Design - R 534 000
• 2.0 T FSI quattro S tronic Sport - R616 000
Still to come from Audi
Wheels24 reported earlier in February that Audi were testing three new models in South Africa. Audi SA confirmed that they were the new A5 coupe, Q5 and smaller SUV Q2.
At the launch of the A4, Audi SA told Wheels24 that the new Q5 and A5 (coupe, sportback and cabriolet) will arrive in Mzansi in 2017.