8 months with a Renault Clio

Top Car's Wayne Batty says goodbye to his Renault Clio. It’s not a soppy farewell but the little 'automatique' did its maker proud.

Kia's trendy family pick

Wheels24's Janine Van der Post experiences the upcoming Cerato.

2004 Peugeot Partner Grand Raid

2004-06-23 09:34

The Grand Raid is based on the Peugeot Partner panel van. Compared to the light commercial version, the Grand Raid has a completely new front end, based on the appearance of a 4x4, with a robust bonnet, smooth glass headlamps, and a grille that defines the vehicle as a member of the Peugeot family.

To give it a more aggressive appearance, the Grand Raid is further equipped with protective steel grilles surrounding the front and rear lights, and fog lights surrounded by aluminium trim in the lower front bumper.

To complete its leisure appearance, the Grand Raid has colour-coded elements in the door mirrors and door handles, as well as a modern decal design.

Inside the Grand Raid, space is in abundance. It was designed to comfortably accommodate five adults and luggage, thanks to three rear seats and a highly accessible boot.

Rear passengers can easily get in and out by means of a very practical sliding door on either side. There are also numerous storage areas for loose items, including three cupholders and a removable ashtray.

Standard equipment includes air conditioning, a radio CD-player with controls mounted on the steering column and sound level indexed to the vehicle speed, power steering, electrically operated rear view mirror on the passenger side, electric windows, central locking, and 60/40 rear split seats with individual curved head restraints.

At the front, occupants enjoy good visibility thanks to the large windscreen while being protected by safety belts with pre-tensioners and force limiters.

The Grand Raid has two adaptive front airbags, with a capacity of 60 litres on the driver's side and 100 litres for the front passenger. The latter can be disconnected to allow for the installation of a child's seat at the front.

The three rear passengers have three-point inertia reel safety belts while toddlers can be seated anywhere with the help of Isofix fixtures. There is also ABS brakes with electronic brake force distribution.


Drive is obtained via a five-speed manual transmission from a high-pressure direct-injection Common Rail diesel engine that displaces 1997cm³ and is capable of delivering 66kW of maximum power at 4 000 rpm, and maximum torque of 205Nm at a low 1 750 rpm.

According to Peugeot the Grand Raid does not pretend to be a 4x4, but it does allow for more than just dirt road driving. This is possible due to a limited slip differential.

A traditional differential that absorbs variations in drive wheel rotation in certain conditions may prove to be inadequate in precarious road-holding conditions.

If one wheel is on a slippery surface while the other has good grip, all of the torque is transmitted to the spinning wheel, which may result in a loss of drive.

To significantly reduce this, the Grand Raid has a limited slip differential that does not transfer all the torque to the spinning wheel, but limits it to a maximum of 75% while the remaining 25% is still directed to the wheel with grip, providing the vehicle with sufficient drive to prevent it from stopping.

Its increased off-road ability is further enhanced by the 30mm raised suspension, resulting in ground clearance of 170mm.

The raised suspension also modifies the approach and departure angles to 28° and 37° respectively. This higher ground clearance is obtained by means of longer springs that make it possible to soften the axle for better grip on uneven terrain, and to cope with the vertical stresses induced by difficult conditions, the front wishbones are strengthened.

Price: R184 900

  • The Peugeot Partner Grand Raid comes with a three year/100 000km warranty, and service intervals are set at 20 000km. Peugeot also offer a 5 year/60 000km maintenance plan as an option.

  • Inside Wheels24

    Take a virtual tour of the McLaren 570S in SA

    Want to experience what it's like to be behind the wheel of a 419kW sports car? Take a virtual tour of the McLaren 570S in our interactive Snapchat video filmed in SA.

    There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.