KEEPING THE PACE: British driver Kris Meeke has strengthened his lead in the Ray of Finland. Image: AFP / Roni Rekomaa
Jyvskyl, Finland - Kris Meeke strengthened his lead on the penultimate day of the Rally of Finland on Saturday (July 30), winning four of the eight super-fast forest speed tests to outshine the home hero.
The Citroen DS3 driver, who held a strong lead after Friday's action, looks set to deny local hope Jari-Matti Latvala a third win on the trot on home soil after another scintillating performance from the Briton.
Meeke said: "Today has been exceptional. Yesterday was one of the best days I've had in a rally car and today has surpassed that. I don't know where I go from here. We have a job to do tomorrow - play it safe and try to bring it home."
Rally of Finland standings:
1. Kris Meeke (GBR/Citroen DS3) 2h22:00.8,
2. Jari-Matti Latvala (FIN/Volkswagen Polo-R) at 41.0sec,
3. Craig Breen (IRL/Citron DS3) 1:43.0,
4. Ott Tanak (EST/Ford Fiesta RS) 1:54.5,
5. Thierry Neuville (BEL/Hyundai i20) 2:00.9,
6. Hayden Paddon (NZL/Hyundai i20) 2:03.6,
7. Mads Ostberg (NOR/Ford Fiesta RS) 2:06.0,
8. Andreas Mikkelsen (NOR/VW Polo-R) 2:24.0,
9. Esapekka Lappi (FIN/Skoda Fabia R5) 4:23.6
Tanak 5 (ES1, ES4, ES7, ES9, ES14),
Mikkelsen 2 (ES1, ES12),
Meeke 8 (ES2, ES5, ES8, ES11, ES13, ES15, ES17, ES18)
Latvala 3 (ES3, ES6, ES10)
Ostberg 1 (ES16)
Ogier 2 (ES19, ES20)