LAST RACE IN ALSACE: Jari-Matti Latvala celebrates after winning the 2014 Rally of France. The 2015 event is in danger of being scrapped unless money or an alternative venue is found.Image: AFP / Frederick Florin
PARIS, France - The 2015 French Rally, previously based in Sebastien Loeb's home Alsace region, is seeking a new location in order to stay on the 2015 World Rally championship calendar after local funding dried up.
The French motorsport federation (FFSA) said on Wednesday (Jan 21) that the event, scheduled for Oct 1-4, would not go ahead in the northeastern region without funding from local authorities.
The federation reports: "The (FFSA) Executive Committee regrets the fact that the world championship can no longer take place in Alsace."
It said organisers "decided to carry out an investigation to propose an alternative solution to enable the 2015 Rally France to take place."
French drivers have won the WRC for the past 11 years, with Loeb racking up a record nine titles in a row and Sebastien Ogier the last two.
The Rally of France has been part of the championship since 1973 and was held in Corsica before switching to Alsace in 2010.Loeb retired from WRC at the end of the 2012 season but continues to compete in selected events such as the 2015 Monte Carlo Rally in January.