SPEED KING: Gugu Zulu and Hilton Auffray (pictured) in their S2000 Polo did not have the perfect weekend at the 2015 Volkswagen Rally. The pair driver finished the event in eighth position overall. Image: Twitter/ Greg Stewart
PORT ELIZABETH, Eastern Cape - The 2015 Volkswagen Rally saw drivers endure a severe cold front that brought with it buckets of rain.
Only 10 of the planned 12 stages took place in Port Elizabeth and surrounding areas on Friday (July 17) and Saturday (July 18). In a highly demanding National Rally environment, the inclement weather proved hazardous for competitors.
Leeroy Poulter and Elvene Coetzee, defending SA National champions in a Toyota Yaris, overcame extreme weather and treacherous roads to slide their way to victory.
DOWN CAME THE RAIN
The pair finished a rally so waterlogged that it was shortened from 12 to 10 stages, in 2hr10min06.5 to beat the Ford Fiesta of Mark Cronje and Robin Houghton by 27.2sec after two days of tough driving in the countryside near Port Elizabeth.
READ: Full results of 2015 VW Rally
Check out five awesome moments of the 2015 VW Rally:
1. Defending SA National Rally champion Leeroy Poulter walks away from his Toyota Yaris with the swag of Floyd Mayweather after clinching his second victory of the season.
2. Watch Poulter and Coetzee bring the action to the PE fans as the pair take a corner with only two wheels on the dirt.
3. The service park located at the oval track in Port Elizabeth became a mudbath after 5mm of rain fell in one hour. This made life very difficult for the pit crews. This picture (above) describes it all.
4. Spectators on Day 2 of the rally were denied two stages because of the rain, but it didn't stop any of the muddy action.
5. Gugu Zulu and Hilton Auffray in their S2000 Polo started the rally in good form, ending the first stage in fourth place, then posting fifth spot for stage two. However the pair could not maintain their consistency and finished their home event in eighth position. Below is a video of the pairs tough weekend.
The next round of the 2015 championship is the Cullinan Rally, which takes place from August 14 and 15, round six of the eight-round championship.