--
 
How to buy a classic motorcycle in SA?

'There are a few things you need to consider,’ writes bike guru Dries Van der Walt.

Top family cars in SA

Wheels24's Janine Van der Post has gone from a 'SpeedQueen' to a supermom. Check out her list of top family cars.

Wolff: F1 'over cautious' due to Bianchi's death

2016-07-24 12:40

TOO SAFE: Toto Wolff thinks that F1 became too safe in the wake of Jules Bianchi's death. Image: AFP / Andrej Isakovic

Hungary - Toto Wolff thinks Formula 1 has become "a little over-cautious" in the wake of Jules Bianchi's death.

After a stewards enquiry on Saturday (July 23, 2016), Nico Rosberg was able to keep his pole position although some rivals - including team mate Lewis Hamilton - questioned whether he had slowed sufficiently for a yellow flag.

"Nico only lost a tenth," said the reigning world champion Hamilton, while Daniel Ricciardo also complained that the Fernando Alonso spin cost him a shot at pole.

Hamilton added: "If that's really what we are allowed to do in future it's a different rule for all us drivers."

F1 a 'farce'

Red Bull official Dr Helmut Marko called it a "farce" that despite setting his fastest overall sector in the yellow flag zone, Rosberg kept his pole.

But earlier in qualifying at the Hungaroring, it was the hour-long Q1 session that was capturing attention amid delays for rain and constant red-flag interruptions.

A photo posted by FORMULA 1® (@f1) on

READ: Rosberg trumps Hamilton in Hungary chaos

When asked if F1 is being too cautious in the name of safety, Ricciardo answered: "The only thing I feel is hungry. I had a light lunch and now I'm hungry."

Mercedes chief Wolff, however, backed race director Charlie Whiting's decision to be cautious on this occasion.

Wolf said: "There was too much water.

"But Silverstone was another case. I would have done a few laps behind the safety car then a normal start.

"But because of the Bianchi accident we are perhaps in some situations a little over-cautious at the moment," he added.

The right and wrong

Red Bull's Dr Helmut Marko agrees, but thinks the sport is at least moving in the right direction with its switch to faster and more aggressive cars for 2017.

Marko told Bild am Sonntag newspaper: "F1 fans need to say 'That's something I won't do myself'. It got so popular because risk was a part of the sport.

"This safety that we have now is nonsense. And this idiocy with the Halo system will completely destroy F1.

"These tarmac run-off areas and the crazy idea with kerbs that smash suspension and now driving over the white line with one, two, three or four wheels - it has nothing to do with racing. So many things are wrong."

READ: As it happened - 2016 Hungarian GP Qualifying

And when asked about certain world champions who argue about the importance of safety, Marko fired: "(Jenson) Button, who earns $10-million, should retire.

"Safety is all well and good, but it cannot be that skiing is more dangerous than F1."

A photo posted by FORMULA 1® (@f1) on


NEXT ON WHEELS24X

Inside Wheels24

F1's fate will be determined by billion-dollar deal

American media mogul John Malone is poised to become Formula 1's new owner.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.