NOT GOING TO RACE? Rumours are doing the rounds that Mercedes driver, Lewis Hamilton, may not race in this coming weekend's Monaco GP. Image: AP / Thibault Camus
Monaco - The next wild rumour is now firing in Formula 1, ahead of the championship's 'jewel in the crown' event in Monaco this weekend (29 May).
Corriere dello Sport, an Italian newspaper, reports that a mysterious incident involving Lewis Hamilton's attendance at red carpet events in Cannes last week could mean the world champion sits out Monaco this weekend.
Wehrlein waiting in the wings
The story could tie in with Pascal Wehrlein's last-minute test in the Mercedes last Wednesday (May 18) in Barcelona.
"Yes, I would be ready," Wehrlein told Sky Italia after testing on Wednesday, when asked if he feels ready for a race seat at the silver works team.
The young German admitted the call-up took him by surprise, as he received the phone call at 8pm on Tuesday evening (May 17) and only had his Manor-branded helmet with him.
Mercedes not happy
Corriere dello Sport did not have any details of the apparent Cannes nightclub incident except to say that it might involve "stolen photographs".
Autosprint, an Italian specialist publication, said the incident reportedly happened at Cannes' Gotha Club.
Read: Rosberg in talks with Ferrari?
The reports also said Mercedes officials were already not happy with Hamilton, who had been asked to test in Barcelona but refused.
F1 legend Alain Prost, meanwhile, played down the crash between Hamilton and Nico Rosberg in Barcelona, although some drew parallels with his own legendary run-ins with Ayrton Senna.
Prost told Germany's Auto Bild: "These things happen in racing and you have to accept that.
"Of course if it happened every weekend, that would no longer be acceptable."