HYPERCAR ROYALTY: Formula 1 driver Jenson Button's daily drive is the monstrous McLaren P1, but which other cars are part of his dream garage? Image: McLaren
Cape Town - Formula 1 drivers are considered to be some of the luckiest petrolheads on the earth. What could be better than driving the fastest race cars throughout a season?
Sure F1 racers are fast but which road cars are able to give them that same high during the rest of the year?
British driver and former F1 champion Jenson Button has owned several ultra-performance cars during his career. He even owned a Bugatti Veyron during his stint at Brawn racing, the team he won his drivers championship with in 2008.
The McLaren driver posted photographs of automobile exotica on Instagram, giving us a glimpse of what would occupy his #Dreamgarage, find out what makes his list:
1. McLaren F1 - Not a surprise if you consider Button currently drives for, er, McLaren. The F1 remains one of the most lauded sports cars in automotive history for its centrally-located driving position and its screaming 6.0 litre V12 (with a gold-lined engine bay).
2. Ferrari 275 GTS - Arguably one of the most beautifully-designed cars yet; the 275 GTS was designed by Pininfarina and powered by a 3.2-litre DOHC V12 engine.
Only 200 were built, making it one of the most exclusive Ferraris.
3. McLaren M12GT - Button explains this one well: "Old school. The McLaren M12GT road car from 1969 was the first McLaren road car. Simple beauty."
4. Ferrari F40 - Button, born in 1980, was 7 years old when Maranello unleashed the F40. Production only lasted nine years during which only 1311 were built.
The F40 was designed to celebrate Ferrari's 40th anniversary and was the last car personally approved by Enzo Ferrari. Its 2.9-litre V8 located in the rear, was mounted longitudinally and produced 352kW.
5. Honda NSX - Only F1 drivers are able to use an NSX as a company car... Button remembers when he had one: "Spotted this orange NSX 3.2 a couple of days ago, I was lucky to have one as a company car a few years back! A lot of good memories..."
6. Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM - Button on his former Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM: "Reacquainted with this beauty. Haven't seen her for 7yrs (sic) and she's still an absolute beast to try and tame."
The CLK DTM version uses a supercharged 5.4 litre V8 capable of producing 428kW and 800Nm, a top speed of 322km/h and rockets from 0-100km/h in 3.8 seconds.
And finally...which car does Button use when he needs to pop down to the local store in Monte Carlo? Well a McLaren P1 obviously:
If money (and garage space) was of no consequence, which cars would you own? Be sure to tell us why....Get in touch via email and we'll publish your dream garage.