Win with General Tire: #SARoadTrip

Share your best-ever Southern African destination with us and you could win R20 000 towards making your dream come true!

8 tips to help your pets in a heat wave

Summer is here and heat waves are hitting SA. If you think you’re hot, imagine how much your pets are suffering...

'It's anybody's game,' says Seb

2013-02-08 07:56

NUMBER ONE The 2012 Formula 1 season saw Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso fight it out to the end.


JEREZ, Spain - The 2013 Formula 1 title is up for grabs by anybody hungry enough for it, says Red Bull's triple World champion Sebastian Vettel.

Asked whether he still saw Britain's Lewis Hamilton as a contender now that the 2008 champion had moved from race winners McLaren to the Mercedes team that was far less competitive last year, the German nodded.


"Yes, of course. I think the way 2012 started, with a lot of different teams and drivers winning the races, there's nothing that speaks against it happening again this year," he said at Jerez on Thursday. "The regulations haven't really changed. At some stage I think it will be getting even closer at the top and therefore everyone is in the hunt."

The 2012 season started with seven different winners from the opening seven races and ended as a duel between Vettel and Ferrari's Fernando Alonso.

Pirelli has changed its tyre compounds for 2013 with the aim of encouraging overtaking and introducing more stops.


Vettel cited the example of Williams, which won in Spain in 2012 because the team was fast rather than lucky and he suggested the same could happen again with less-fancied teams enjoying their moment in the spotlight.

"We have to wait and see. Even if after the last Barcelona test you have a certain favourite, it could all be different in Australia. It's a different track and a different temperature. It's going to be a long season," he said.

Vettel's view contrasted to that of Alonso, who told reporters he expected the race wins to be divided between three teams with Ferrari having to make sure it was one of them.

The season will in Melbourne, Australia on March 17.

Read more on:    sebastian vettel  |  red bull  |  motorsport  |  formula 1

Inside Wheels24

Did Alonso drive in 'economy mode' this season?

Fernando Alonso has been driving in 'economy mode' in 2016 to save energy for a serious bid for success in 2016.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.