WHAT HAPPENED IN SPAIN? Rumours and speculation continue to fly since Fernando Alonso's crash in testing at the Catalunya circuit. Image: McLaren / Twitter
LONDON, England - Formula 1's governing body has vowed to look into the circumstances surrounding the mysterious crash that put McLaren driver Fernando Alonso in hospital for four days.
McLaren took 28 hours to issue a statement about Sunday's (Feb 22 2015) incident, triggering speculation there was more to the story than a "normal" gust of wind.
Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel, who was following the McLaren-Honda, said his rival seemed to simply steer into the concrete wall; a trackside photographer has said that the impact was in fact "not violent".
BATTERY FUMES, SHOCKED?
The team denied wild speculation that Alonso had been shocked by his kinetic energy recovery system or overcome by battery fumes and was already unconscious when he hit the wall.
Italy's Autosprint reports that, after repeated problems with Honda's kers, McLaren had now intervened and a hybrid version would be run at the final Barcelona test that started today (Feb 26).
Another conspiracy is that the 33-year-old suffered some sort of seizure but to date no video or telemetry data of the incident has been released.
Former F1 doctor Gary Hartstein, however, suggested on Twitter that Alonso's long hospital stay suggested there was more to the story than a simple concussion. He insisted: "Not a scintilla of doubt that at best we've been given the tiniest sliver of truth, at worst treated like fools."
TWO NIGHTS' INTENSIVE CARE
So as Alonso left hospital on Wednesday (Feb 25) after three nights, two of which were spent in intensive care, reports emerged that the International Automobile Federation will now investigate the event. A federation spokesperson told AP: "We will look at it very accurately to understand it properly and to see what the community can learn from it."
Germany's Sport Bild said the federation had asked McLaren to provide its telemetry data; another report, this one in Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport, clarified: "It is not an official investigation but a request for information."
Former McLaren driver Gerhard Berger, meanwhile, thinks that amid the mysterious air of intrigue, McLaren should release the data.
He was quoted by Sport Bild: "To remove all doubt. McLaren should put the telemetric data in the open."Stay with Wheels24 for the 2015 F1 season – fresh reports every day.