--
 
How to buy a classic motorcycle in SA?

'There are a few things you need to consider,’ writes bike guru Dries Van der Walt.

Top family cars in SA

Wheels24's Janine Van der Post has gone from a 'SpeedQueen' to a supermom. Check out her list of top family cars.

Pirelli blames teams for Belgian blowout

2015-08-24 10:00

NOT HAPPY AT ALL: Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel is furious at Pirelli for losing his P3 spot during the 2015 Belgian GP due to a tyre blowout. Image: AFP

SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS, Belgium - Sebastian Vettel's explosive 2015 Belgian GP blowout would not have happened if tyre manufacturer Pirelli had been listened to two years ago, the company said in a statement on Sunday (August 23).

Pirelli said they had asked in 2013, after a spate of blowouts at the British Grand Prix forced a change in construction, for a maximum to be set for the number of laps that could be run with the same tyres.

'REQUEST NOT ACCEPTED'

The statement said: "In November 2013, Pirelli requested that there should be rules to govern the maximum number of laps that can be driven on the same set of tyres, among other parameters to do with correct tyre usage.

"This request was not accepted. The proposal put forward a maximum distance equivalent to 50% of the grand prix distance for the prime tyre and 30% for the option.

"These conditions, if applied today at Spa, would have limited the maximum number of laps on the medium compound to 22."

Ferrari's Vettel, who was running in third place, had done 27 laps on the medium tyre and was on a one-stop strategy when his car's right rear blew on the penultimate lap of the race.

Vettel said afterwards as others also raised questions about the safety of the tyres: "Things like that are not allowed to happen. Full stop. If it happened 200m earlier, I am not standing here now," the four times Formula 1 world champion said afterwards as others also raised questions about the safety of the tyres.


Read more on:    pirelli  |  sebastian vettel  |  motorsport  |  formula 1  |  tyres

Inside Wheels24

F1's fate will be determined by billion-dollar deal

American media mogul John Malone is poised to become Formula 1's new owner.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.