--
 
How to buy a classic motorcycle in SA?

'There are a few things you need to consider,’ writes bike guru Dries Van der Walt.

Top family cars in SA

Wheels24's Janine Van der Post has gone from a 'SpeedQueen' to a supermom. Check out her list of top family cars.

Merc to wait for Renault F1 decision

2015-08-24 09:13

NO DISCUSSIONS: Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has put an end to engine rumours until Renault decides its future with Red Bull. Image: AFP

SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS, Belgium - Mercedes will not open any discussions with Red Bull about a possible F1 engine supply until Renault's future in the sport is clear, automaker's motorsport director Toto Wolff said on Saturday (August 22).

With speculation swirling at the 2015 Belgian GP that Red Bull is seeking an early exit from their partnership with Renault, if their current engine partners do not decide to quit anyway, Wolff remained guarded.

KEEPING MUM

Wolff told reporters: "We said, and this is still the situation, that we will not interfere into an existing relationship for many reasons.

"Legally, we don't do this and it's not the way we approach business in general and then you must not forget that Renault and Daimler go back a long way...we have a very amicable industrial relationship.

"That is why we said that until that is resolved between the two parties (Renault and Red Bull) we will not even start any discussion...it hasn't reached that point and the complexity is quite large with many decisions to be made."

Former champions Red Bull has a contract with Renault, who also supply sister team Toro Rosso with engines, until the end of 2016.

However, Renault, whose engine has been eclipsed by Mercedes since the introduction of the V6 turbo hybrid power unit in 2014, are weighing up whether to buy their own team or withdraw from the sport.

CLOUDY FUTURE

Both Renault and Red Bull have said publicly that they intend to honour their contracts and do not comment on speculation.

Paddock speculation has linked Red Bull to Mercedes, however, as the most likely option in the event of Renault deciding to leave.

The manufacturer already supplies four of the 10 teams - their own title-winning works outfit, Williams, Force India and Lotus, who switched from Renault at the end of 2014.

However, financially-troubled Lotus's future remains clouded in uncertainty with speculation they could be bought back by previous owners Renault.

Ferrari, who has previously supplied Red Bull and Toro Rosso, has indicated they would be willing to do so again in the event of Renault pulling out while Mercedes have appeared reluctant but may now be softening their stance.


NEXT ON WHEELS24X

Inside Wheels24

F1's fate will be determined by billion-dollar deal

American media mogul John Malone is poised to become Formula 1's new owner.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.