READY FOR ALONSO TO SUIT UP: A factory worker with a fireproof suit tailored for F1 driver Fernando Alonso. Will he be at Sepang on March 27 to wear it for the Malaysian F1 GP? Image: AFP / Marco Bertorello
LONDON, England - Fernando Alonso has stepped up his preparations to return to action in Malaysia in time for the March 29 Malaysian Formula 1 weekend.
McLaren-Honda confirmed reports that the Spaniard was at Woking (England, team HQ) and on Wednesday (March 18) would be at the wheel of the team's sophisticated driving simulator where a spokesperson said: "We have a programme to help Fernando back to racing."
There have been rumours that the 33-year-old was nervous about returning to the cockpit of the MP4-30 after his still unexplained crash during a track test in Spain.
MORE MEDICAL TESTS
Team boss Eric Boullier told Spain's El Pais he had been in contact with Alonso "every day". "He is perfect," the Frenchman said when asked about driver's medical condition. "In fact he is starting to get worried about going crazy if he's not back soon."
He said Alonso would have prescribed medical tests before the Malaysia race but "a green light" was expected.
Boullier also denied the mysterious crash had already driven a wedge between Alonso and McLaren; they had a serious falling-out in 2007.
"No. A thousand times, no," he said. "It was a dramatic and very unfortunate event but I can assure you that there is no problem between us. I was with him in the hospital every day, talking to doctors, and was completely transparent with the people around Fernando.
"I co-ordinated the investigation launched in Woking and everything was done in full transparency with the International Automobile Federation. We, just as it, want to know what happened."Stay with Wheels24 for the 2015 F1 season – fresh reports every day.