2015 SA Bike of the Year: Vote and win!

Enter our 2015 SA Bike of the Year competition and you could win one of three R500 shopping vouchers!

Win a LED 3D smart TV

Stand a chance of winning a Samsung UA55H8000 Smart 55 inch Curved LED TV valued at R20 000 from Save Hyper!

Kobayashi needs money to stay in F1

2012-10-27 11:47

KAMUI'S F1 IN THE BALANCE: Sauber team principal Monish Kaltenborn has spoken out about Kamui Kobayashi's future in F1.

GREATER NOIDA, India - Kamui Kobayashi's future with the Sauber Formula 1 team will not depend on whatever new sponsorship money he might raise, team principal Monisha Kaltenborn said on Friday, October 26, 2012.

Without saying whether the Japanese would be staying or leaving next season, Kaltenborn reminded reporters at the Indian Grand Prix that the Swiss team was fully aware he had no financial backers when they hired him in 2010.

She told reporters: "If you look back when we took him up, also then people criticised us for that decision and everyone knew that he's not got any sponsorship package at all so nothing's changed on that."

UNCERTAIN FUTURE


Kobayashi, who took third place at his home Japanese Grand Prix earlier in October, faces an uncertain future with Germany's Nico Hulkenberg tipped to move from Force India while Mexican Esteban Gutierrez looks likely to replace departing compatriot Sergio Perez.

Perez, who is moving to McLaren in 2013, has had three podium finishes to Kobayashi's one this season and has scored 16 points more.

Kobayashi told reporters on Thursday, October 25 that he was looking to raise sponsorship to help him stay in F1, a possible sign that he might be looking at other teams, and had been in Tokyo for that purpose before coming to India.

He said: "I think normally top teams have a lot of budget so for them it doesn't matter for drivers.

"But for the lesser teams normally they need some budget because it is a different budget system. This is what I have to understand."

Sauber have several Mexican sponsors, with telecoms giant Telmex the most prominent as the backers of both Perez and reserve Gutierrez.

Gutierrez replaced Perez in Friday's first free practice in India after Sauber said the race driver was unwell . The reserve made clear afterwards that he was hopeful of racing in 2013.

He said: "Definitely we are in the process and we are trying to do our best and...I hope that I can achieve what is my goal for next season."

Perez felt his compatriot's chances were "really high". "The team likes him and he's a really young driver, a very good driver so it makes sense to put him in the car," he said.

Stay with Wheels24 for the Indian F1 GP


NEXT ON WHEELS24X

Inside Wheels24

F1 doesn't need 'big changes' - Todt

Bernie Ecclestone said that the way F1 is structured means that he and FIA president Jean Todt could make major changes, so long as the latter is on board...

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.