GERMAN GP NO MORE? Will Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg (above) or team mate Lewis Hamilton ever celebrate a win at their 'home track' once more? Image: AP
SEPANG, Malaysia - Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has cast doubt on Germany's return to the calendar in 2016 and indicated that Ferrari's home Italian GP at Monza remains at risk beyond next year.
The 2015 German GP in July has been cancelled after the troubled Nurburgring was unable to reach a deal and Hockenheim was unwilling to step in at short notice after poor ticket sales in 2014.
Hockenheim has a contract for 2016 but Ecclestone, 84, suggested that was no guarantee of champions Mercedes' home race returning.
END OF DAYS
"That doesn't make a difference," Ecclestone told reporters at the Malaysian GP on Friday (March 27). "A lot of people have a contract."
He has said previously that Monza, one of F1's most historic tracks and a temple of Italian motorsport since the 1920s, could be struck off after 2016 if a new contract is not agreed.
"Whatever goes, goes," Ecclestone said when asked about European races disappearing. "There are lots of things we all would like, but we don't have them because we can't afford them."
In other comments, the supremo hailed reigning F1 champion Lewis Hamilton as the best yet and criticised his predecessor Sebastian Vettel: "Apart from the fact he's talented, he's a good guy, he gets out on the street and supports and promotes F1... I told Sebastian (Vettel), you should be doing what he's doing."
Stay with Wheels24 for the 2015 F1 season – fresh reports every day.