Alonso crash saga 'weird' - Villeneuve

'It's a story that leaves me a bit confused,' says former F1 driver Jacques Villeneuve who's joined a number of pundits and fans baffled by Fernando Alonso's crash.

SA-bound R8 to be unleashed at Geneva

Audi's second-generation R8 will make its debut at the 2015 Geneva auto show. The new V10-powered R8 will arrive in South Africa in 2016! GALLERY

Force India tests drivers

2013-02-19 09:47

NOT A COMPETITION: Adrian Sutil (Left) and Jules Bianchi will both be testing for Force India, the only team left with a vacant seat. Image: AFP

ALAN BALDWIN

Germany's Adrian Sutil and Frenchman Jules Bianchi, rivals for the coveted last remaining seat on the Formula 1 grid with Force India, will both test for the team in Barcelona.

The team said on Monday February 18, 2013, that Sutil, the team's former driver who was dropped at the end of 2011 after being convicted of grievous bodily harm, would be in the car on Thursday with Bianchi testing on Friday at the Circuit de Catalunya.

NOT A SHOOT-OUT

Britain's Paul Di Resta, the team's only confirmed race driver at present, will start the second pre-season test on Tuesday and Wednesday.

A team spokesman said the test was not a “shoot-out” between the two candidates, however.

"No, it's not a shoot-out," he said. "It's just two drivers helping the team with this week's test. I don't think it should be perceived as such, that's not the intention."

The vacancy, at a team aiming to score regular points and challenge for the podium, arose after Germany's Nico Hulkenberg moved to Ferrari-powered Sauber at the end of last season.

Sutil, who first raced for the team in 2007 when it was called Spyker, had a seat fitting at the Silverstone factory last week, Feb 11 - 15.

GIANT OF A FINE

His return has been mooted for months but Force India has stalled on any announcement, amid reports that it was looking to see who had most financial backing. This week's test could be the 30-year-old's last chance of a comeback.


The German was given a suspended 18-month sentence and fined 200 000 euros (R2.3-million) last year for a post-Chinese Grand Prix incident in a Shanghai nightclub in April 2011 that left a Renault team executive nursing cuts from a champagne glass.

Bianchi tested with Force India in Jerez this month and was the team's reserve last year. The 23-year-old is also a member of Ferrari's driver academy, with the Italian team keen to help him into a race seat.

The season will start in Melbourne, Australia, on March 17, 2013.


NEXT ON WHEELS24X
Read more on:    f1  |  force india  |  adrian sutil  |  barcelona  |  jules bianchi

Read Wheels24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside Wheels24

Jerez: First glimpse of '15 F1 potential

The F1 world got its first glimpse of the 2015 field as many teams tested new cars, and in some cases new drivers, ahead of the first race of the season in March.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.