Fernando Alonso is unmoved by the rising speculation that Kimi Raikkonen could be set to vacate his Ferrari seat in 2010.
The latest whispers that the reigning world champion, Raikkonen, is
contemplating retirement after next year actually preceded rumours at
Monaco two weeks ago that Alonso, who currently drives for Renault, may
have penned a preliminary agreement to move to Ferrari in 2010.
But to the Spanish newspaper Diario AS on Thursday, 26-year-old Alonso said he had been "surprised" about the reports linking him with Raikkonen's seat.
"It is strange to be talking about 2010," he said.
"I don't know what I am going to do next year, let alone in two years.
"I see them as only rumours without much foundation."
Alonso refused to estimate a percentage probability that he will still be racing a Renault beyond this season.
"I don't know, I have no idea because I haven't stopped to think about it," the Spaniard said.
"There is no hurry, and now is not the time anyway."
When asked when the right time will come, Alonso answered: "At the end of the championship."
In a boost to Renault's chances of retaining him, meanwhile,
Alonso insists that he never thought he was going to be fighting at the
front in 2008.
"I always thought that I was going to be here for a couple of years," he said.
Alonso is not confident about his chances for this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix.
"On paper this Grand Prix is bad for us because we know that we
lack stability in braking and traction, and that is what this circuit
is all about."