ONE MORE SEASON AT MCLAREN: McLaren driver Jenson Button confirmed he will race for the team until the end of the 2016 season. Image: AFP
Woking, England - Jenson Button has decided against retirement and will remain with McLaren for the 2016 Formula One season.
The 2009 world champion had been considering quitting after this season, but both sides announced Thursday that he would continue until the end of the 2016 season.
Dismal season for McLaren-Honda
The team has struggled this season with new engine provider Honda, leaving Button's future in doubt.
"Over the past month or so I have done quite a lot of thinking, and it is no secret that I was at one point in two minds about my future," the 35-year-old British driver said.
Button, who has been with McLaren for six years, said he decided to stay after extensive talks with team chairman and CEO Ron Dennis.
"It has become clear to me that Ron is both utterly determined and uniquely equipped to lead our team through its current difficulties to great successes in the future," Button said. "That gives me great confidence, and it is for that reason that, together, he and I have decided to continue our partnership."
Alonso also expected to stay
Teammate Fernando Alonso is also expected to stay with McLaren for 2016.
Button has a two-year contract with McLaren through 2016, but there were clauses allowing either side to terminate the deal after one year.
Dennis said "that option immediately became an irrelevance" after his talks with Button.
"That being the case, Jenson will race for McLaren-Honda next year, under the terms and conditions as set out in the two-year contract that both parties entered into a year ago," he said.
McLaren is next-to-last in the constructors' championship with 17 points this year. Alonso is 16th in the drivers' championship with 11 points and Button is 18th with six.
"Granted, this year has not been an easy one for us, but we know what we need to do to improve things," Button said.
Button's last win came at the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix in 2012. His best result this season was eighth place at the Monaco GP in May 2015.
Button next season will become only the third driver in F1 history after Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher to pass the milestone of more than 300 Grand Prix races.