'WE'VE GOT AUSTRIA...': F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone still has his doubts about the 2015 German GP. Image: AFP
LONDON, England - Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has cast doubt on the 2015 German GP taking place at either Nurburgring or Hockenheim.
The 84-year-old, who said earlier in January 2015 that the July 19 race would be at Hockenheim if a contract could be finalised, told Sky Sports News on Wednesday (Jan 23) that no deal had been signed with either circuit.
THERE'S STILL HOPE?
Asked whether there was still a chance of a German GP after 2014's dominance of Mercedes and 2015's novelty of seeing four-times champion Sebastian Vettel in Ferrari colours, he quipped: "We've got one. It's called Austria."
The Briton said he was to meet the Nurburgring's new owners on Wednesday, reviving its prospects after he appeared to write them off. The race was due to be held at the Nurburgring under an alternation agreement with Hockenheim, which hosted it in 2014 but drew a disappointingly small crowd, to ease the financial burden.
Ecclestone's words could be interpreted as part of the bargaining process, however, and he made clear the sport wanted to keep Germany on the calendar."We will do everything to stop them fading away," he said, but in the end the only reason the race won't happen is that they can't afford the race," he said.
Stay with Wheels24 for the 2015 F1 season – fresh reports every day.