How to buy a classic motorcycle in SA?

'There are a few things you need to consider,’ writes bike guru Dries Van der Walt.

Top family cars in SA

Wheels24's Janine Van der Post has gone from a 'SpeedQueen' to a supermom. Check out her list of top family cars.

Bernie: 'Bahrain? No worries...'

2013-04-05 18:28

WAY BACK THEN... The Sakhir circuit, first used in 2004, as it was ahead of the race cancelled in April 2011 because of civil unrest.


LONDON, England - Formula 1 has no concerns about the 2013 Bahrain GP again becoming a target for anti-government protesters.

That's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone's view, anyway.

The race at the Sakhir desert circuit was cancelled in 2011 when a Shi'ite-led pro-democracy uprising was crushed and at least 35 people - activists put the tally far higher - were killed.

The 2012 GP, the biggest sporting event in the US-allied Gulf island kingdom and watched by hundreds of millions around the world, went ahead controversially amid tight security and against a backdrop of burning tyres and riot police firing teargas at petrol bomb-throwing protesters in Shi'ite villages.


Bahrain's opposition and government resumed reconciliation talks in February 2013 for the first time since July 2011 and, even if little progress has been reported, Ecclestone felt the situation had improved.

"I haven't had any negative reports from anybody there," the 82-year-old British billionaire told Reuters as he prepared for a double-header with the Chinese GP on April 14 and Bahrain on April 21. "Somebody who actually lives there came to see me and said everything's very normal.

"I think they (both sides) are talking now anyway... so I don't think they'll upset the talks by making protests. It didn't help them last year, so if they have any brains they'll just get on with their talks."

Demonstrators have continued with small protests almost daily to demand equality and a constitutional monarchy in the tiny kingdom ruled by the Sunni Al-Khalifa family and home to the US Fifth Fleet. At least 10 civilians and several policemen were injured in March 2013 during protests to mark the second anniversary of the arrival of forces from neighbouring Saudi Arabia which helped crush the uprising.

Police said the demonstrators barricaded roads and burned vehicles. Pictures published in the foreign media have shown slogans daubed on walls calling for a boycott of the race.


Asked whether there was a risk of the race being targeted more directly after the protests and international pressure failed to stop it going ahead last year, Ecclestone said: "No, I think quite the opposite.

"No concerns, none at all," he added.

Ecclestone said he would again be in Bahrain for the GP, Round 4 of the now 19-race season, and praised local organisers for their efforts. He assured them that Bahrain, in 2004 the first country to host a GP in the Middle East, had a long-term future in F1 despite neighbouring Abu Dhabi's glittering floodlit race now being a much more popular fixture with teams and sponsors.

"Yes, yes, absolutely," he said. "Everything that is there is, as far as we are concerned, good. They do a very, very good job of the race, the whole support from the top is good.

"No problems."

Let's hope so, Mr Ecclestone... let's hope so.

Read more on:    bahrain  |  formula 1

Inside Wheels24

A 'Butler' drinks from a shoe, Alonso gets racy... 5 top moments from the US GP

From Lewis Hamilton dominating in Texas to actor Gerard Butler drinking from a stinking race shoe.. the 2016 United States GP proved to be one of the best races of the season. These top moments made it worth watching...

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.