How to buy a classic motorcycle in SA?

'There are a few things you need to consider,’ writes bike guru Dries Van der Walt.

Top family cars in SA

Wheels24's Janine Van der Post has gone from a 'SpeedQueen' to a supermom. Check out her list of top family cars.

Bahrain GP will go on - Bernie

2012-02-24 08:44

BAHRAIN GREENLIGHT: Despite ongoing unrest in Bahrain, Bernie Ecclestone says F1 will be headed to the island kingdom, though it’s a little dubious that he won’t be attending the event.

LONDON, UK - Formula 1 teams and sponsors have no concerns about racing in Bahrain in 2012 and the Grand Prix is definitely on despite continuing unrest, says Bernie Ecclestone.

Ecclestone said: "Nobody is saying we're not going or we don't want to go or anything. Everybody is quite positive. I've told all the teams it's no problem at all, I'm absolutely 100% sure we'll go there and there will be no problem.

"Pity I'm not going to be there myself but don't worry," he joked, adding after a pause: "No, I shall be there, don't worry," he said.

Tickets for the April 22 race at the Sakhir circuit went on sale at the start of the week. The 2011 Grand Prix was postponed and then cancelled after a bloody crackdown on pro-democracy protests.

Teams have said they are happy to leave any decision to Ecclestone and the Paris-based International Automobile Federation (FIA).

Human rights lawyer Cherif Bassiouni, who headed an independent commission of inquiry in 2011, found security forces had used excessive force to suppress protests and tortured detainees to extract confessions, has also endorsed the race going ahead.

He congratulated the Bahrain circuit organisers for the decision to hold the race under the slogan of "UniF1ed - One Nation in Celebration".


Bassiouni sadi: "This is an important initiative which gives another opportunity for the People of Bahrain to come together again after all that has happened in the last year."

Ecclestone said he had no plans for increased security around Formula One teams in Bahrain, although the local authorities were likely to ensure measures were taken anyway.

"I am sure that the people there will make sure just in case there's a problem. I am sure there will not be a problem," he added.

Asked about media reports of a British man having fingers chopped off in violence marking the anniversary of the uprising, Ecclestone shrugged.

"But you don't know why. There are probably people here that had worse things happen to them. It happened to me actually," said Ecclestone, who was mugged in 2010 for his watch near his office in the wealthy Knightsbridge district of central London.

Inside Wheels24

F1: Kvyat returns to Toro Rosso

Scuderia Toro Rosso has announced that Russian driver Daniil Kvyat will return to the team for the 2017 season.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.