NEW IN SA: Ducati launched its Panigale 959, one of nine bikes to be launched by the Italian maker in 2016. Image: Wheels24/ Dries van der Walt
Cape Town - Ducati has launched its new 959 Panigale and Multistrada Pikes Peak in South Africa.
The new bikes are first new models for Ducatis in 2016. The launch was held at the bike maker's Randburg dealership on February 3.
Having increased its sales by 22% in 2015 and having a bike (the Ducati Scrambler) in the global top ten best-sellers list, the iconic Italian brand plans to ride the success wave.
The local market will receive nine new models in 2016.
10 things you should know about the Ducati 959 Panigale:
1. The new 955 cm³ V-twin power unit is the first Superquadro mill to have obtained Euro 4 type-approval.
2. The 959 Panigale will available in traditional Ducati red with black wheels or “Arctic White Silk” with contrasting red wheels.
4. Ducati says that with 117kW at 10 500 rpm, and a torque of 107.4Nm from 9000 rpm, the 959 motor ensures user-friendlier, smooth delivery.
5. A first for a mid-size Superquadro engine, the clutch assembly features a progressive self-servo mechanism
6. Valve clearance inspections are only required every 24 000km and general services every 12,000 km or 12 months.
7. The electronics package available on the 959 Panigale includes ABS, Ducati Traction Control (DTC), Ducati Quick Shift (DQS), Engine Brake Control (EBC) and Ride-by-Wire (RbW).
8. The 959 has three available Riding Modes: Race, Sport and Wet.
9. The bike is equipped with 43mm Showa BPF forks, fully adjustable in spring pre-load and compression and rebound damping.
10. The 959 Panigale is immediately available. The red one costs R183 000 and the white one R185 000.
Eight fascinating facts about the Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak
1. The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, also known as the "The Race to the Clouds", is held in an area of the Rocky Mountains, climbing almost 2 000 m within 20 km. Ducati has won it four times.
2. The Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak is available in dedicated white red and black livery with Ducati red chassis, while the 3-spoke black wheels have a racing-inspired red trim.
3. The Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak is powered by the Ducati Testastretta DVT (Desmodromic Variable Timing) -twin engine.
4. A carbon Ducati Performance silencer by Termignoni and a low racing-type carbon screen are available as options.
5. Öhlins fork and Öhlins TTX36 shock absorber, both mechanically adjustable, underscore the sporting char-acter of the Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak.
6. The Bike is equipped with Cornering ABS, Cornering Lights (DCL), LED headlight, Wheelie Control (DWC), Traction Control (DTC) and Cruise Control.
7. Also standard features is a Bluetooth module which lets riders connect the bike to a smartphone and man-age key multimedia functions (incoming calls, text messaging, music) via the switchgears and display infor-mation on the TFT dashboard.
8. The Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peaks sells for R274 900 and is available immediately.