TO THE HILLS! TO THE HILLS! Satnav giant TomTom has created a motorcycle unit designed to find the twists, the turns and the hills that make biking so much fun. Image: TomTom / Newspress
LONDON, England , 15 January 2015 – TomTom navigation has in Europe launched the all-new TomTom Rider to, it says, “make every motorcycle ride more exciting”.
“For the first time,” the company says, “bikers can choose the level of twists and turns they want to ride to create their own adrenalin-filled adventure.”
The map system, it adds, lets riders explore new routes. “Simply select an area to ride and Rider will suggest the most exciting round trip. Before setting out, you can create and share touring adventures with friends and upload them direct to the device.”
TomTom Rider is described as "stylish, yet rugged" and has been "completely redesigned for life on the road and offers real-time traffic information to motorcyclists for the first time".
A rotating mount allows the rider to switch to portrait view to see more of the bends ahead and the screen is glove-friendly and interactive to make it easy to find and explore new places. Route instructions can be relayed via Bluetoothto a headset or helmet.
Corinne Vigreux, co-founder and MD of TomTom Consumer, explained: “We believe every ride is a chance for adventure so we’ve designed TomTom Rider to give bikers more ways to create and discover exciting routes. From the freedom of cruising the open road to the thrill of leaning through the tightest curve on the highest peak, Rider bikers can create and ride their own perfect adventure."
TomTom Rider, the company says, includes features designed specifically for bikers:
• Winding roads: Find exciting winding roads, avoid boring straights.
• Hilly roads: Stay at sea level or climb the peaks.
• Round-trip planning: Select where you want to ride, Rider will find the most exciting route.
• Portrait view: Rotate to portrait view to see more of the bends ahead.
• Route planning: Plan a touring adventure before leaving home.
• Route sharing: Share a route with other bikers before or after your ride.
• Lifetime TomTom traffic: Real-time traffic information for the life of the device.
• Track support: Upload tracks (GPX format) and your TomTom Rider will show you the way.
• Hands-free calling: Call hands-free while you ride.
• Weatherproof design: As weather-ready as you are.
• Glove-friendly screen: Use even while wearing gloves.
• Sunlight visibility: Make use of colour options.
• Trip recording: Record your trip and relive the adventure any time.
• Trip stats: See how far, how fast, for how long you have ridden.
• Fully interactive screen: Pinch, zoom, swipe.
TomTom Rider will be available from April 2015. Prices then.