ENHANCING THE BEST-SELLER: Renault South Africa opted to refresh its Clio. Image: QuickPic
Cape Town - With global sales in excess of 13-million units since its launch in 1990, the Renault Clio is the best-selling French car of all time.
Its a success story that has continued with the fourth-generation Clio’s launch into more than 100 countries worldwide and into South Africa in April 2013.
Around 20 000 Clio 4 models have been sold since its 2013 launch in SA and has consistently been a top five performer in its class, says Renault SA. In November 2016, the automaker opted to refresh its stalwart model.
On the outside
The Clio’s front bumper has been reshaped and the lower re-proportioned grid is now visibly broader. At the rear, the skirt has also been redesigned.
The Clio Dynamique variant borrows full-LED front lighting signature from its current Renault’s stablemates. Renault says its full LED “pure vision” headlights are 20% more powerful than a halogen beam.
Refinement for textures, colours, materials
Changes inside include a redesigned leather steering wheel and materials employed in Renault’s top-of-the-range models. The gear lever, as well as the door panels, has also been redesigned.
The R&Go application is exclusive to the Clio Authentique. Renault says the system’s easy-to-use and customisable interface allows for a closer mix between the smartphone and automotive worlds.
The R&Go app has been split into four different areas:
• Controls radio, sound and smartphone music
• Selects and manages other audio media (from USB / iPod for example)
• Identifies songs from radio while playing
• Manages phone (dial a number, call a contact, history of calls)
• Manages contacts/agenda (retrieving info from phone)
READ: Au revoir: A South African's 8 months with a Renault Clio
• Facilitates ECO driving (global score, distance travelled, rate for acceleration/anticipation/gear change for example)
• Dashboard (displays rpm, fuel consumption, vehicle/trip-relation information (speed, distance) and outside temperature
• Vehicle e-guide
• Car finder: save vehicle’s last position and display pedestrian route to reach it
• Choice of navigation applications: Google maps, Apple plan, Waze etc.
• Last mile navigation: portable pedestrian nav to reach final destination
• CoPilot navigation: Free for 15 days; available thereafter through in app purchase
The Clio Dynamique, Expression and Expression EDC versions come standard with Renault’s MediaNav® integrated navigation/multi-media system complete with large 7” touchscreen display, SA maps and Eco Scoring.
Engines and performance
The three-cylinder 66kW petrol Turbo engine powers the Clio Dynamique, Expression and Authentique models. It has 66kW/140Nm, covers 0 to 100km/h in 12.9 seconds, with a top speed of 178kph. Renault claims a fuel rating of 5.5-litres/100km. It has a five-speed manual gearbox.
READ: Renault's hottest Clio yet: 205kW RS Concept at Monaco GP
The Clio Expression EDC is powered by a 1.2-litre four-cylinder petrol turbo engine. The 88kW/190Nm engine needs 9.4sec to do the 0 to 100km/h sprint, onto a top speed of 199km/h. it uses a six-speed EDC auto gearbox.
Fuel consumption is a claimed 5.2-litres/100km.
• Clio 66kW Turbo Authentique R206 900
• Clio 66kW Turbo Expression R226 900
• Clio 66kW Turbo Dynamique R244 900
• Clio 88kW Turbo EDC Expression R264 900
• 7” Touchscreen Navigation (MediaNav) & leather steering wheel for Authentique R10 000
• Fixed glass roof for Dynamique R8000
• Metallic paint on full range R2500
Warranty & service plan
All Clio models is sold with a five-year or 150 000km mechanical warranty, a three-year or 45 000km service plan and a six-year anti-corrosion warranty. Services are at 15 000km intervals.