• New interior and exterior tweaks
• New infotainment system
• Beats Up! to be introduced launched in 2017
Cape Town - Volkswagen’s compact hatchback, the Up!, sports new colours and wheels, design tweaks throughout and an enhanced infotainment system.
With over 4800 units sold in South Africa since its market introduction in February 2015, the automaker hopes its new Up! will continue the success story of VW's popular city car.
The newly designed headlights with LED daytime running lights, modified bumper with redesigned front trim strips and a more contoured bonnet give it a sharper, sportier look. New wheels (measuring up to 16") and wing mirrors with integrated indicators. The redesigned rear lights and distinctive rear diffuser create a rounded finish.
Volkswagen is using printed surfaces for the dashboard styling panel manufactured using the in-mould-labelling process (IML). The newly available ambient lighting underlines the exclusive look of the interior. Leather multi-function steering and gear knob are now standard from Move up!
The new Up! is offered in four equipment levels; Take up!, Move up! up! beats and Cross Up!
1.0 MPI Take up! (55kW) - R164 700
1.0 MPI Move up! (55kW) - R178 300
1.0 MPI up! beats (55kW) - R194 700
1.0 MPI Cross up! (55kW) - R194 700
The familiar three-cylinder 1.0 litre engine has been retained. The 999cc normally-aspirated engine has a power output of 55kW available at 6200 rpm. The maximum torque of 95Nm is reached at 3000 rpm. From standstill to 100km/h Up! takes 13.5 seconds while it pushes a top speed of 173km/h. Fuel consumption is rated at 4.6-litres/100km.
Follow Wheels24 on Instagram
The compact hatchback measures 3.6m long, 1.6m wide and 1.5m tall with wheelbase of 2.4m. Its turning circle is 9.8m. Boot space is rated at 251-litres. When the rear seat is fully folded, cargo space increases to 959 litres.
All derivatives are sold with many safety features including ABS, four airbags and Electronic Stability Control. Cross Up and Up! beats will be available in the first quarter of 2017.
The new up! is the second Volkswagen model after Polo, to be offered with the BeatsAudio sound system. The 300-watt system comprises of an amplifier, six high-end speakers and a separate subwoofer for a concert hall feeling inside the car. The Up! beats differentiates itself from other derivatives by its newly designed ‘Radial’ 15" alloy wheels, beats design decals as well as contrasting wing mirrors.
New infotainment system
The infotainment system on board the new up! has been completely redesigned. Standard in Take up! is the 3.1" ‘Composition’ with monochrome display, Radio/CD, SD Card and AUX-in.
From Move up! the ‘Composition Phone’ with 5" colour display, radio, USB, SD Card, AUX-in and Bluetooth connectivity functionality is standard.
A smartphone with ‘Maps + More’ app can be integrated with the infotainment system. The phone screen is used as the display for features such as navigation, telephone and car-specific information and Volkswagen’s Think Blue. This application is a standard feature only in the Up! beats.
The new Up! can be customised with optional extras such as 15" spoke alloy wheels, sound “Plus” package with four speakers in front and two in rear, driver package (cruise control, rear park distance control and multi-function display), winter package (heatable seats and front fog lights), roof package (black painted roof and side-mirrors), smartphone integration: navigation and panoramic sunroof.
Equipment and trim
Here are the highlights of standard features fitted in the new up! four equipment levels: Take up!, Move up! up! beats and Cross up!.
This derivative has the following standard features:
• Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)
• Driver and front passenger airbags, plus side head/thorax airbags for front passengers
• Electronic Stability Control (ESC) including hill hold and Electronic Differential Lock (EDL)
• Traction control
• Front integrated head restraints
• Height adjustable steering wheel
• Speed-sensitive power-assisted steering
• Composition Radio infotainment system: 3.1" monochrome screen, AUX-in socket for external Source: MP3 player, SD card reader and CD player
• Full-size spare wheel (including tool kit and jack)
• 14" steel wheels with 165/70 R14 tyres
• Isofix child seat preparation
• Remote central locking with two remote folding keys
• Manual air-con
• Tyre pressure loss indicator
• Electric front windows
• Heatable rear window
• Heating and ventilation with four-speed fan
• LED daytime running lights
• Halogen clear headlights with integrated indicators
• Interior light delay and luggage compartment light
• Centre console cup holder, front x1 and rear x1
In addition to the features on the Take up!, the Move up! gains the following:
• 14" steel wheels
• Body-coloured door handles and door mirrors
• Composition Colour infotainment system; 5" colour touch-screen, Bluetooth telephone and audio connection, USB connectivity
• Variable boot floor
• Lane’ cloth upholstery
• Chromed-trimmed interior door handles
• ‘Fusion’ cloth upholstery
• ‘Black Cube’ dash pad
• Leather multi-function steering wheel
• Side-mirrors electrically adjustable and heated
• Rear-seat bench with 60:40 split/folding
In addition to the features on the Move up! model, the up! beats gains the following:
• 15" ‘Radial’ alloy wheels
• Red or Black alloy wheel centre caps depending on exterior paint colour
• Tyre mobility set
• Beats audio 8 channel amplifier, Digital Signal Processor (DSP), 2 x tweeters in A pillars, 2 x woofers in front doors, 2 x broadband speakers in rear, 1 x subwoofer in spare wheel well, 300 watt output
• Chrome-plated decorative strip on tailgate
• ‘Flash Red’ or ‘Black’ door mirrors with integrated indicators
• Rear tinted glass from B pillar backwards, approximately 65% tinted
• ‘beats’ decal silver foil stripe with additional colour stripe matching the exterior door mirrors, on lower edge of door panel
• Unique ‘beats’ logo on B pillar
• Carpet mats, front and rear with red stitching
• Chrome trim on air conditioning panel and light switch surround
• Door sill protectors with ‘beats’ design
• ‘beats’ cloth upholstery seat centre section with ‘beats’ logo and ‘Microfleece’ side bolsters
• 3D effect upper dashpad with ‘beats’ logo
• Multi-function display: instrument cluster with electronic speedometer, odometer, trip meter, rev counter, fuel gauge and digital clock
• Side-mirror housings in black or red
• Smartphone navigation interface for smartphones up to 5.5" with USB connection for charging and data transfer
• Seatbelts with red stripe
• Ambient lighting
• Front fog lights
• Heatable front seats
In addition to the standard features in other derivatives, Cross up! gains the following:
• 16" Cross alloy wheels
• 14" space saver spare wheel
• Front foglights
• Ambient lighting
• Bumpers in sport style
• Black protective side moulding – wheel arches, sills and doors
• Silver anodised roof rails
• Side-mirror housings in light silver
Warranty and Service
Volkswagen up! is sold with a three year or 120 000km manufacturer warranty, a 12-year anti-corrosion warranty and 15 000km service intervals.